cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soldering instead of crimping

Bianchi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Would there be any reason not to solder battery connections versus crimping? The application would be for a solar charging system.

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

55 REPLIES 55

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bianchi wrote:
Hi, Would there be any reason not to solder battery connections versus crimping? The application would be for a solar charging system.

Since you didn't specify wire size, I'm going to assume you're talking about larger size wires because you mentioned battery connections.

I'd crimp those and if the wire is #6 or larger, you'll need a beefy crimper. Also smear some anti-oxidant compound on the wire ends before crimping.

For more info, check Jack Mayer's web site.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many questions you should not ask less you wish to start a religious argument, Ford or Chevy, Crimp or Solder. To name but two.

I am told that in some situtations crimp is REQUIED, they claim it is more resistant to vibration....

Personally.. I like a good solder joint.

But I often.. .. Well, "Belt and suspenders" Solder the crimp on after crimping.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great replies. The best I can do now is to pull both wires to see if they hold together when soldered. And use Rosin Core. My normal technique for clean wire is to tin both wires and leave a little extra on the wires then touch the wires together then touch with iron. Then shrink wrap. I need to do it this way unless I have something to hold them together. The next time I attempt to solder "dirty, oxidized" wires I may clean them with Electronic Spray or Naval Jelly. Can anyone suggest about using Naval Jelly? Thanks
1985 Toyota Dolphin 21' 22RE Auto
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
pcmentor29 wrote:
Is Rosin Core the same as flux core?

Both acid and rosin are "fluxes".

Rosin core should be used for all electrical work.

When buying solder, look for Sn63/Pb37 alloy rosin core.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:

First of all, on old wire, its best to scrape the wire to remove any corrosion or oxidation. Then use a flux-cored solder (not acid core) for best results.

This works only on solid wire. With stranded wire you would have to remove the corrosion from each individual strand, a very labor intensive endeavor.
Paul
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
Is Rosin Core the same as flux core?
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
pcmentor29 wrote:
I soldered some wires in my Toyota MH engine compartment. One joint had six wires 14 or 16 gauge. My 40 watt iron wasn't working so I used my 260/200 watt gun. I still could not get the wires tinned completely it seemed. I tin them then solder two at a time then heat and stick the pairs together. Can someone tell me if I need a higher wattage iron or another solution to solder wires that have old maybe weathered ends. On fresh copper wires the heat flows great. Is there a technique to get old copper wire to tin properly or is this the best I can do? Thanks

First of all, on old wire, its best to scrape the wire to remove any corrosion or oxidation. Then use a flux-cored solder (not acid core) for best results.
Now, a trick - for soldering wires that are really difficult to solder, and for soldering STAINLESS (such as caps on rechargeable batteries, etc) with regular lead-tin solder - flux the metal first with a tiny dab of phosphoric acid, then use regular solder. Its the only sure-fire way to solder stainless steel. But be aware that the acid will do a job on your soldering iron tip over time.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I learned years ago that the best electrical connection is both crimped and soldered.
Crimping for a sound mechanical connection and soldering for a sound electrical connection.
Gives the best protection against vibration and corrosion.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
pcmentor29 wrote:
โ€ฆ
Can someone tell me if I need a higher wattage iron or another solution to solder wires that have old maybe weathered ends. On fresh copper wires the heat flows great. Is there a technique to get old copper wire to tin properly or is this the best I can do? Thanks

With stranded wire, the only thing you can do is strip the insulation back until you have clean wire.

If this results in the wires being too short, just add on some new wire.

With that size wire, I would use a 150 Watt IRON.
Paul
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
I soldered some wires in my Toyota MH engine compartment. One joint had six wires 14 or 16 gauge. My 40 watt iron wasn't working so I used my 260/200 watt gun. I still could not get the wires tinned completely it seemed. I tin them then solder two at a time then heat and stick the pairs together. Can someone tell me if I need a higher wattage iron or another solution to solder wires that have old maybe weathered ends. On fresh copper wires the heat flows great. Is there a technique to get old copper wire to tin properly or is this the best I can do? Thanks
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If your set on soldering after crimping and are not highly skilled and knowlegable about soldering and don't have all the proper tools I'd suggest buying adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connectors with a built in solder preform. Then use good marine grade tinned wire. Use the proper crimp tool and a real heat gun to heat seal and solder the connection.

Even though I have all the tools for soldering and the skills, for the few cases when I want a crimped and soldered connection, I use the solder filled heat sealed connectors. Gives a crimp joint with solder along with the proper strain relief to minimize the chances of flex failure. the connector is designed so the heat shrink extends beyond the solder joint.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
OK found a Ideal crimper, like the sargent, in the pawn shop. Still does not have the jaws I am looking for but I can order those.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
Looked at the three links to crimpers but did not find any with a middle nib so guess it must not be a factor. The 3M did look like it might on the biggest opening. Still ever time I buy a item that has a good crimp seem to be better formed instead of mashed flat. Yea, I know, picky.

the sargent crimper (see link in previous post) has many inserts you can use. For non insulated "split" ring connectors, they have and I use one of the inserts that crimps the ring with the classic two simicircles onto the wires. nylon insulated connectors take a different crimp form as do the ones with heat shrink. I have about 10 jaw sets for the sargent crimper for different types of connectors. non insulated connectors that aren't "split" ring take yet another crimp form.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at the three links to crimpers but did not find any with a middle nib so guess it must not be a factor. The 3M did look like it might on the biggest opening. Still ever time I buy a item that has a good crimp seem to be better formed instead of mashed flat. Yea, I know, picky.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.