cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SOLVED: Monaco entry door - metal arm on top rubs/binds

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Since I am doing major surgery on my entry door (broken latch handle), wanted to ask about another issue I have had forever. Sometimes even after the handles have released the latches, the door is still hard to open.

That flat metal arm on the top that serves as the door stop/door stay binds and rubs between the door and the jam making the first few inches of movement rather difficult.

I've seen people talking about replacing them because they lock in the extended position too easily, but nothing on it binding/rubbing. Anyone have a similar problem and solution? It is so annoying I am thinking about just removing the thing, but would need to be careful when opening/closing the door else the wind grab it and slam it back against the coach.

I have emailed Monaco tech support and will see what they have to say....

SOLUTION

I got up there on a ladder and saw much of the rub was the bar on top of the door. Lesser so on the little rib on the jam, but it was hitting there in a couple of spots, like the rivet head.

So, I just applied lithium grease to wherever I saw signs of the rubbing and now it glides like butter. I suppose over time I might have to clean and re-grease it. Between this and the new latch I got installed the door is working better than ever.
Roaming Full Timer
2 REPLIES 2

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
tk,
PM me. I may have the fix for your door stay.
Randy

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have Monaco Monarch. I had to move mine slightly and use heavier screws. Wind did catch it and pulled screws out. So fixed it properly.