cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydraulic slide outs

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Montana 3485SA Fifth wheel with three slides. When new the slides would come out one at a time starting with the bedroom. The next (entertainment center) would not start out until the bedroom was all the way out. After the entertainment slide was all the way out the dinette slide would start out.

After a few years the entertainemnt and dinette slides would start moving when the bedroom was about half way out. The circuit breaker would trip and after a minute, I could continue. This got to the point where it would take several stops and starts to get all three out. The battery has been replaced and that did not help.

Many other Montana owners recomment putting in a 50 amp circuit breaker. My feeling is that the system was designed for 30 amps, so 50 amps is not fixing the base problem.

I understand that the hydraulic system pushes the lightest slide out first (bedroom), then the entertainment, then the largest, dinette. That makes sense. The pump pressurized the entire system and because of the pressure and pushing weight, the lightest will naturally go out first. But why did they go out one at a time when new, now they generally go out one at a time but all seem to at least move and couple inches to a foot or so while the bedroom is still not all the way out.

Ideas?
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.
7 REPLIES 7

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
So I go out today with two new Cole-Hersee circuit breakers to replace the ones that came on the trailer. Slides open like when they were new. Go figure. Will keep them in the trailer in case I need them later.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
I am no mechanic but it sounds like a valve to me.
Don

My hyd system has 3 valves that must be open to allow the slides to open . Maybe the bedroom slide valve is plugged up.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Check your manual. On mine the hydraulic system it is recommended to have the fluid changed every two years as there are no filters in the system to keep it clean. Might just need a fluid change.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Lubed the slide out parts I could get to. Bedroom slide is covered when out. Was able to check it and clean and dry inside.

Will work on adjustments. I think I have the lube handled.

Thanks all

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If it works like you say, in that it pressurizes the whole system, then it can only be lubrication, as it will move the point of least resistence first.
Would be the same as a slide binding, (one side ahead of the other) it moving the side w/ the least resistence first. I have never lubricated mine, and don't even know if they require lubrication. but trying some spray silicone on the slide rails sure can't hurt ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I am no mechanic but it sounds like a valve to me.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not have slides and have only tinkered with mechanical ones, but this is what it sounds like to me:
Slides are Binding or at least in need of Lubrication and/or Adjustment. If the first slide starts binding partway out, the hydraulics will start pushing the second one, etc.
If that scenario is right, then all that added Load and Run Time will heat up the circuit breaker.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB