cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater electric heating element replacement

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
See my unit below. Has anyone replace the hot water heater electric heating element. I confess i smoked it by turning it on with no water in it.

I see wires going into a metal box on the side of the heater and it seems to be enclosed in stryofoam. This is looking from inside the RV.

Is this a DIY project or should I leave it to camping world.

Many thanks
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad
5 REPLIES 5

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It must be an attwood. I looked at the video and it does not look like that one.

Yes it is the same problem I posted before. My daughter had a stroke
and my 91 year old Mom broke her hip and I have not had the RV out in two years.

I am sorry if posting the same issue twice seems to be an issue.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Suburban you work from the outside. Attwood from the inside. Here's a video posted last week for the Suburban.
Element replacement
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well..just like your post from 18 months ago you don't state which WH you have

A Suburban or an Atwood

So.....
If Suburban......open outside compartment access door. Remove cover over electric element. Remove element. Replace with new.
If Atwood......access backside of tank. Remove cover over electric element. Remove element. Replace with new

Course you need to turn off ALL power to WH, drain the tank cause water will flow out element hole when removed. Have to disconnect wires on element.
If you are handy, understand electricity etc. it's a DIY

Otherwise......have it done.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
If it is like mine you access it from the outside not the inside. Makes it a lot easier since you don't have to worrier about the water that comes out!

EDIT - Is this the same issue you raised in Similar Thread about 18 months ago or a new issue?

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a Suburban or Atwood?