cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SOLVED: Monaco - replace exterior latch handle on entry door

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Today part of the latch mechanism on the entry door of my 2004 Diplomat broke and will no longer unlatch the door. The inside latch handle still works. Yes, I crawled in through the driver window - thank goodness I had it unlocked, as well as the storage bay where the ladder was!

I searched a bit on here and no similar post jumped out at me. Tired, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem on a similar coach (with similar door and latch mechanism) and see how one goes about fixing it. I guess this is a high priority unless I just really enjoy crawling through the window. It was easier than I thought - just stepped off the ladder and onto the driver's seat! :S

Curious, I started looking at the door. I took the small access panel from the inside that covers the inside parts of the mechanism, but the outside handle that is broken is lower down in the door. It seems the whole inside panel must come off, and if so looks like the window has to come out too. I think I will email Monaco tech support and see what they say.

SOLUTION

As discussed in the posts below, took the door apart, saw the latch handle was indeed broken. Called Trimark and by describing the part and exchanging diagrams and photos, we quickly identified the part needed. They overnighted it to me and got it in.

Also as discussed in one of the links referenced below, I shortened the rod connected to the new handle to reduce the range of travel needed to spring the latches. It must have come from the factory with too much play in that linkage. All better now!
Roaming Full Timer
5 REPLIES 5

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone else that stumbles across this, the post at this URL explains how to adjust the mechanism of the exterior latch handle so it will release the latches with less movement of the handle. This adjustment being out is what resulted in my latch handle breaking.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cant-get-this-dang-door-adjusted-174975-2.html#post1714364
Roaming Full Timer

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting series of posts...

Thanks for sharing.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Well, from past experience, I have little confidence Lazy Days will return my call about a replacement part anytime soon. I also called the parts department at North Trail RV in Ft. Myers and had to leave a message there as well.

Rather than sit around waiting, I decided to go to the source. I called Trimark who makes the handle. Very quickly by describing it she felt she knew which one it was. She emailed me a schematic and it did seem to be the same configuration on the back but just to be sure I emailed her a picture of the back.

Got one ordered for overnight delivery. They wanted $51 + $10 handling (for under $100) plus shipping. One local parts place got a price from Monaco and they wanted $110 + tax + shipping.
Roaming Full Timer

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is fun....

Got the inside panel off the door. Sure enough the exterior pull handle latch is broken and will have to be replaced. Something has not been adjusted right for some time and it often took alot of pressure to release the latches. Tried to have it adjusted once but didn't seem to help much. Maybe now with it all apart I can fine-tune it to work properly.

Now to find a replacement latch handle. Hoping Lazy Days Tampa has one in stock so I can run get it today and get this back together.

Kind of amazing this engineering nightmare works at all... As you can see, RVs are not too impressive once you start taking them apart!

Roaming Full Timer

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes talk to myself in the forums, and now is one of those situations. Using Google instead of the forum search I did find a few posts that talked about similar problems on similar coaches. I PMed the posters asking for their advice. No word yet.

But then I found this post which basically tells and shows me what to do to access the bottom latch handle mechanism. Knowing that I can take the inside frame off the window without the window coming out makes me feel better about diving into the job.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entry-door-handle-broken-locked-out-74309.html#post693845
Roaming Full Timer