cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some EV charging considerations…

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
For sure, EV’s (and EV trucks?) will continue to gain popularity, but for the uninitiated, a few charging bottlenecks are baked into the cake - an interesting overview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg

3 tons
15 REPLIES 15

dedmiston
Another chest-thumping EV thread gets closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Believe whatever source you choose, but I doubt few folks would seriously count the EPA (or several other 3 letter agencies in today’s news…) as an ‘objectified repository’ - sadly, the same politically staffed Agency that (under the color of law) has left us with many environmental fubars - here’s just one of many:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/epa-chief-apologizes-for-toxic-spill-affecting-rivers-in-colorado-new-mexico-1439321379#:~:text=An%20EPA%20cleanup%20crew%20on%20Aug.%205%20accidentally,system%20that%20also%20spans%20New%20Mexico%20and%20Utah.

3 tons

As we all suspected. And talk diverted and deflected into something else when caught with the pants down.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Most EVs are within 100 feet of the main charging source vs more than a mile for an ice.

How many ice cars burn up per year? Only 150,000.

statistical sources, please.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I see they mention the Volt, which is not a Bev.

My choice would be the Sono in 2024. (That's when my tires age out.)

Most EVs are within 100 feet of the main charging source vs more than a mile for an ice.

How many ice cars burn up per year? Only 150,000.

"In April, Ford said average dwell time for a Mach-E on dealership lots was a fairly short seven days, and that most sales were to customers coming from competitor brands."
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Believe whatever source you choose, but I doubt few folks would seriously count the EPA (or several other 3 letter agencies in today’s news…) as an ‘objectified repository’ - sadly, the same politically staffed Agency that (under the color of law) has left us with many environmental fubars - here’s just one of many:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/epa-chief-apologizes-for-toxic-spill-affecting-rivers-in-colorado-new-mexico-1439321379#:~:text=An%20EPA%20cleanup%20crew%20on%20Aug.%205%20accidentally,system%20that%20also%20spans%20New%20Mexico%20and%20Utah.

3 tons

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Well said @jdc1. I can't add anymore to it with your well reasoned and fact-based post.

Feel-good for purchasing an EV. Ask those who have one how happy they are and what's their next car will be or what they'll upgrade into. Hint: Never ever an ICE.

Ha, Glad to know you’re feeling good Sir - You’d likely get the same short-term endorphin rush (but at a cheaper price…) by simply getting yourself a shiny new Rolex :)….However the reality is that I don’t in any way disparage the idea of EV’s so long as they can be scientifically supported by an objective ‘net reduction in carbon’ (i.e. energy) study, without such the EV foundation is fatally flawed, thus you might consider refusing a so-called ‘green tax credit’ (sadly, paid for by one’s own hard working neighbors)…

3 tons

Lucky for you, there have been a number of such studies. A recent one is available here.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:

Ha, Glad to know you’re feeling good Sir - You’d likely get the same short-term endorphin rush (but at a cheaper price…) by simply getting yourself a shiny new Rolex 🙂

Find me a Rolex that can pull my trailer or I can put a camper cab on and being powered by EV and I'll consider it.

And please, good sir, research whereof you speak. This from our own EPA, unless you are in the anti-Fauci anti-science camp.

Yes, there can be charging bottlenecks. But the exception does not make the rule (or the majority of cases).

EV Myths

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Well said @jdc1. I can't add anymore to it with your well reasoned and fact-based post.

Feel-good for purchasing an EV. Ask those who have one how happy they are and what's their next car will be or what they'll upgrade into. Hint: Never ever an ICE.

Ha, Glad to know you’re feeling good Sir - You’d likely get the same short-term endorphin rush (but at a cheaper price…) by simply getting yourself a shiny new Rolex :)….However the reality is that I don’t in any way disparage the idea of EV’s so long as they can be scientifically supported by an objective ‘net reduction in carbon’ (i.e. energy) study, without such the EV foundation is fatally flawed, thus you might consider refusing a so-called ‘green tax credit’ (sadly, paid for by one’s own hard working neighbors)…

3 tons

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
“Better World”?….Again, you’ll likely not find anyone who’s against a “better world” but we’ll need far more than platitudes to get there - My buddy has 7kw of solar panels on his roof and a firewall, but Lord only knows (because of lack of interest or even a modicum of enquiry…) the amount of ‘net energy’ consumed (say compared to uber abundant natural gas) OR ‘net carbon’ produced during their manufacture, or the eventual waste created at end of life cycle…Oop’s I almost forgot, “it’s a settled science” - lol on that faux premiss!!…Either way, we can’t dismiss the costly redesign of the grid that’s needed to accommodate widespread adoption of this new EV fashion statement…What’s happened is that in this rush to ‘feel good’ public policy (fueled by tax redistribution) has preceded REAL science…

3 tons

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fact is, EV's ARE the future. Solid state batteries are just around the corner. A range of over 1,000 miles will not be unheard of. Every major automobile manufacture on earth is ramping up their EV research and development department. The ICE research and development departments are no longer a thing. GM, Ford and Toyota are all building battery manufacturing factories right now, bringing more and more jobs to the USA. As for the exploding batteries? Look at the Pinto and Mustangs of the past. That fuel tank behind the passenger in the older trucks? LOL. A lot less EV's fires have been reported as compared to those old carb'd cars mishaps. Charging will be a 3 minute ordeal once the solid state batteries are mainstream (2030). Heck, the newest Long Beach California buses charge while they are waiting for passengers to load....yea, wireless charging. Once GM, Ford, VW, Toyota and all the other big players unveil their EV line-ups in 2023, you'll see a heck of a spike in EV sales. As for those that are worried about not enough grid electricity? Well, get on board the rooftop solar train. Help build a better world.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt EV’s have some laudable performance attributes, but in a different sense they are yet another creature borne of the federal and state tax codes (minus supporting science), i.e. part and parcel of the ‘feel good’ political greening ($$) of America…As an early adopter, Musk rightfully deserves high praise indeed for his engineering and marketing skills, and for understanding the machinations of navigating this ‘feeling good’ subsidies gimmickry!!…Now it’ll be incumbent on utility users at large to fund the supporting renovation of the NIMBY grid - making even P.T. Barnum jealous - JMO

3 tons

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what will happen to those millions of folks who have no off street parking, etc. when the greeeies shut down all of the gas stations?
bumpy

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
For sure, EV’s (and EV trucks?) will continue to gain popularity, but for the uninitiated, a few charging bottlenecks are baked into the cake - an interesting overview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg

3 tons

I doubt that is true especially with all the news of Teslas burning down peoples houses and Bolts owners being told to park their death traps well away from anything flamable. Plus the range problems still exist.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper