Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sorting out elec wires

path1
Explorer
Explorer
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28923707.cfm

In above link I asked about my 30 amp elec connection about 6 months ago. After reading the responses I put some gorilla glue where it was separating. Well, itโ€™s beginning to fall apart again. I picked up new replacement head yesterday. I canโ€™t see any wire colors. I see what looks like thin cardboard paper wrapped in there. To make sure I re-wire the right wires to the right legs, before I chop off the head. Iโ€™m going to use my volt meter with continuity tester and listen for the beeping sound in order to keep the wires going to the right legs. So that means getting out extension cord and volt meter so I can sort everything out. Sometimes on 120 volt stuff I make sure no elec is in wire and hook up a 9 volt battery and check at other end, looking for the 9 volts I'm putting in other end. To make sure I have the right wire. On vehicles, it is harder for me. Sometimes a wire will be same color as something close to it. Sometimes I have to look real close for dashes and dots to make sure Iโ€™m messing with right wire.

OKโ€ฆHere is my questionโ€ฆ

How do you experienced guys go about sorting out wires?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2112 wrote:
STOP is the correct answer
On the contrary I think the colors will be found if OP continues.

Explorer II
Explorer II
STOP is the correct answer
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
In above link I asked about my 30 amp elec connection about 6 months ago. After reading the responses I put some gorilla glue where it was separating. Well, itโ€™s beginning to fall apart again. I picked up new replacement head yesterday. I canโ€™t see any wire colors. I see what looks like thin cardboard paper wrapped in there. To make sure I re-wire the right wires to the right legs, before I chop off the head. Iโ€™m going to use my volt meter with continuity tester and listen for the beeping sound in order to keep the wires going to the right legs. So that means getting out extension cord and volt meter so I can sort everything out. Sometimes on 120 volt stuff I make sure no elec is in wire and hook up a 9 volt battery and check at other end, looking for the 9 volts I'm putting in other end. To make sure I have the right wire. On vehicles, it is harder for me. Sometimes a wire will be same color as something close to it. Sometimes I have to look real close for dashes and dots to make sure Iโ€™m messing with right wire.

OKโ€ฆHere is my questionโ€ฆ

How do you experienced guys go about sorting out wires?
STOP. Now, before you shoot your eye out. If you're asking the question, you know only enough to be dangerous to yourself and others. Hire a pro.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Black wire to the copper prong white wire to the silver opposite side green to ground prong

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can test the cord with a hand-held meter for continuity. That isn't a bad thing to do occasionally, even measuring resistance of the three conductors. That process may turn up a problem within the assembly.

What you will find in your cord is that the three conductors are wrapped in paper. This is a measure to add longevity to the cord assembly. Peel off the paper and you will find the three conductors are sheathed in the appropriate color sheathing, green, white, and black. Install the cord's wires as recommended above--line voltage (black) to a brass terminal, neutral (white) to a silver terminal, and ground (green) to the ground terminal. After assembly, you can test for continuity (or resistance), again. Test between terminals to make sure there is not a stray wire strand or other issue.

Tips: Make sure you have the jacket of the cord assembly long enough to be secured by your new cord end. Some of these cord retrofit ends have less than optimal retaining clamps so that I sometimes use a piece of shrink wrap that envelops the bottom of the jacket entry and the cord. The shrink wrap makes the connection between the two more durable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If all the wires are same color for a 120v circuit I remove all and pull new wire.
NEC requires color code.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
I canโ€™t see any wire colors.

Of course the wires are colour coded, how else would anyone know what wire did what?

Black - hot, goes to the lug with a brass coloured screw
White - neutral, goes to the lug with a silver coloured screw
Green - ground, goes to the large ground lug
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Continuity tester, but strip that cable back and they will be black/white/green.
-- Chris Bryant

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2

LittleBill wrote:
continuity test on meter, no need for adding voltage. unit will even alarm on some meters when continuity is found
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
continuity test on meter, no need for adding voltage. unit will even alarm on some meters when continuity is found