cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stick home Geothermal system ques?

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came home from the winter RV trip and found a pool of water in the basement from a rusted out water heater.

I am a do it yourself guy if possible so i changed out the water heater today.

Prob is the geo furnace had tow half inch water pipes connected to an insert into the drain of the old water heater. For some reason I cannot get the thing removed to install into the new water heater. It is unscrewed but just will not come out of the hole.

I am kind lost as to exactly what the insert is and if i can just get a replacement to put in the new water heater.

anyone know what that thing is called and if it is available for order.

Kinda weird question but I am currently stumped.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I know you already bought a water heater but if you didn't get it hooked up yet check out the Rheem Marathon water heaters. They have a poly tank that will never rust out. No more worries about coming home to a flooded house and it will be the last time you replace it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks all, a guy sent me a diagram of how to last night.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try some local plumbing or HVAC contractors or supply houses. I think one brand is called the Solar Wand. I'm sure there are others.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD, do you know where i can order a replacement insert/coil for the water heater?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your geothermal heat pump apparently has a desuperheater. Yes, that's a big word. In the summer, when you're removing heat from the house it can be used to heat the water in your water heater instead of being dumped in the ground. The insert in the bottom of the tank is a coil or a heat exchanger for this purpose. You can just get rid of the whole thing but then your more efficient geo thermal system won't be able to heat your water with waste heat. You'll just have to do it with the new water heater all the time.