cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban water heater SW10DE still clicking after lighting

SkyeSurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a used RV, and I'm having some trouble with the water heater. I turned on the gas and the water heater switch that's in the kitchen, then turned on the switch on the outside of the water heater. I could hear the click click click of the igniter, and a roar of fire, but then it just keeps clicking. The fire seems to stay lit (or at least was lit whenever I checked on it), and the outside panel gets hot (which I assume means it's heating the water as it should), but it never stops clicking.

My first thought was that the igniter/sensor might need cleaning, adjustment or replacing, but if that were the case, wouldn't the heater cut off the gas flow? So could it be the board that needs replacing? Or something else?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the high tension wire connections....clean & tight
Clean spark electrode with emery cloth

You do know that the outside switch is for the electric element....correct?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Is it just clicking for roughly 15 seconds and then stopping? If so then there's no problem - it takes the flame sensor a while to determine a flame is present. If it just keep clicking forever then the sensor is probably Dirty (clean with solvent or emery paper), out of adjustment or bad.

SkyeSurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. In the thread you linked, the fire is going out after a few seconds. Mine is staying lit while continuing to click. So I'm not sure it's the same issue?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban clicking
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman