cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Supply Propane from RV to Grill?

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
From the propane tanks on our TT is a distribution block where several propane lines are connected to hot water heater, frig, heat.

There is one port that is plugged.

I would like to connect a propane hose to this plug, so that I could run the baby Q grill. The distribution block is regulated propane, at the baby Q is a regulator, which means the line from the distribution block to the baby Q would be regulated two time.

Will that work?????

Thanks Johnnie
14 REPLIES 14

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. I run on about a 10' hose (with about another 10' from the RV port to the bottles). When I first did the mod, I felt like my BabyQ was taking longer to heat up, but I could still get it up to 500 degrees it just seemed to take longer, I just suspected it was not running as efficiently as when on a throwaway bottle. After a little Googling I discovered a common problem with the BabyQ was that the holes in the burner tube get easily clogged with grease and that has a big effect on heat. I was not convinced that this would be the cause, as it still seemed to run better on a throwaway, but I did it anyway. There are a number of methods online for cleaning the tube (soaking, wire brush, drilling etc). I decided to drill out all the holes after soaking the tube for a half hour. The smallest drill bit I had was a perfect fit (I did not want too big and enlarge the holes). I drilled out all the holes, and many were really gummed up and even took some force to get the drill thru the clogs. In the end when I reinstalled the tube I was amazed that it seemed like it was running off the RV as well as it did on a throwaway. May be coincidence but it might be worth a look.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here is an update to the propane conections. I wanted to beable to put the baby Q out from the awning, so I had about 15 feed of hose from the quick disconect to the baby Q, with out the baby Q regulator, as the port on the RV came from the RV regulator. Not sure if the hose length caused the porblem, but the flame from the baby Q was so low it was not usable. Did some temporary replumbing and got the baby Q running properly. The baby Q was not double regulatored.

So today, as we are going camping again, it the weather hold up, I replumbed the quick disconect from the RV stright to one of the porpane bottles on the RV. Tested the baby Q, and it works as it should.

Not sure why it did not work properly from the RV regulator, but it did not. it does work porperly with high preasure form the RV porpane tank to the requlator of the baby Q.

Thanks again for all the input.

Johnnie

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
After three trips to the local very well stocked hardware store, I came up with this: I ran a tap from the RV propane block to the front of the RV, which is regulated. I removed the Baby Q regulator, and adapted the remove regulator so that it can be reattached and a 1 pound bottle can be used. From the RV propane tap, I can run the Baby Q and the Camp Chief burner. I can also run the Baby Q and the Camp Chief burner from a large propane tank, as this weekend we are going on a camping trip with others and will most likely place all the cooking devices in a central place away from our RV.

From all the input I was able to make the above possible.

Thanks

Johnnie

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This Sturgi-Stay Deluxe kit is designed to do just that. It provides high pressure propane to your appliance. Extend-A-Stay used to make one, but apparently, they no longer do.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Can one replumb your quick connect line so it is on the high pressure side. I don't want to remove the regulator on my Weber Q as I use it sometimes away from my camper
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I took off the regulator on my Weber this past summer, after talking to another camper who had the same problem as me.....the flame was like it was on low all the time. It now works like a champ and doesn't take an hour to cook a steak. I have the quick connect on my 5er.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your grill has a regulator, you need to tap off the propane on the RV ahead of the regulator.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally putting one high pressure to low pressure regulator after another is not going to make you happy. those little regulators are designed for input pressures in the 100+ PSI range and output in the 0.5-PSI range (11 inches of water) Camping World Link

The Stay-A-While is designed for Motor Homes with attached tanks, if you have portable tanks there is one that has all but the propane inlet.

Either of these will output high pressure propane just like the disposable bottle you normally see the webber's pictured with.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the information, I now know how I need to address this.

Johnnie

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I put an instruction video on YouTube. Search for "Weber Q 1200" Convert for Onboard RV Propane. The removed regulator receives a quick connect so you can still use the small bottles away from the onboard. See the video. Its an easy mod that let's you have your cake and eat it too.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this pic, this came off a thread from another forum.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50969659/weberq.jpg
I did this mod, it makes using the Weber so much easier. In my case I did not do 1/8" quick releases as my RV dealer had 1/4" which seem to be easier to come by, this just meant I needed to get a reducer/coupler 1/4" to 1/8". You do not have to get the parts online (maybe cheaper though). Lowes carry the gas tape and coupler (in the gas fittings section). The quick release's and hose will likely be found at most RV dealers.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
NO on the twice regulated. It will give you super low flame. You either have to remove the q-grill regulator, or make a connection prior to the tank regulator. This can be done (either way). Google the mods.

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the question is can the propane be regulated twice to the grill?

Johnnie

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. A fitting fits in there with a quick disconnect. Camco sells most everything you need. My TT had the grill that could be mounted to the side of the TT. When I bought the MH I got a longer hose and use the BBQ away from the MH. The Camco kit includes another valve so you can remove the regulator from the BBQ.