Progressive $99.50 ssp 50

Surge guard $314 99 34750
Both 50amp
Anyone with info.? Do these do the same thing
7 REPLIES 7

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy two. A surge suppressor that plugs inline, then a permanently mounted EMS which cuts the power if voltage gets too low, or cuts power without frying itself if plugged into 240.

That way, if a bad power hit comes along, the $99 box takes it and expires, which is a lot easier to replace than the multi-C-note EMS.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a PI. Surge Guard no longer supplies support once their units are out of warranty.
Randy

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Norskeman,
Nice write up...just wondering why you didn't mount the unit up on the wall?
Keep an eye on that plumbing. If you get any kind of leak, it might compromise your surge protector that is directly below all those pipes.

Thanks for the heads up - drain lines and water lines in the area.

The walls around the unit are very thin wood - could have installed a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to mount it on. May make that mod later or install some kind of splash guard. That was the reason why I modified the storage compartment wall - make it easy to get to it and the water lines. You can see some of the water lines are hoses instead of "hard' lines.

I took the picture before I put the cover on the unit.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
henleyd wrote:
Progressive $99.50 ssp 50

Surge guard $314 99 34750
Both 50amp
Anyone with info.? Do these do the same thing

no they don't. don't be cheap and get a good one.
this is why we should refer to these as multi-function surge protectors, not the $99 specials.
bumpy

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Norskeman,
Nice write up...just wondering why you didn't mount the unit up on the wall?
Keep an eye on that plumbing. If you get any kind of leak, it might compromise your surge protector that is directly below all those pipes.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
The higher $ item has more bells and whistles - more protection.
Progressive EMS-PT30C is similar to the Surge Guard 99 34750.

I installed a Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector with Voltage Protection and Remote Display Hardwired for 50amp RV's. I installed a hard wired unit because I did not want to have a portable unit hanging off the power pole at the campground or off my RV box I have mounted on the outside of our garage.

I can turn it off (will need to when I connect my generator), indicates line voltage and current on both phases. Also frequency of power to unit. I removed the wall in the storage compartment area (cut in half and added a vertical support in the middle. My breaker box is "behind" the unit so the wire was easy to pull through. The original power cable to the breaker panel had plenty of length for connecting to the EMS-HW50C. Working with 6 gauge wire was a pain - especially feeding it through the current sensors and then connection to the unit.

Purchased mine from tweetys.com.

The bottom link is a video of the remote indications.

http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/norskecruiser/media/007_zpscf77424d.mp4.html
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the research...if you want the very best 50a look at this....LINK

It offers the most protection and most features..Expensive, yes. Shop around. You can get it for much less.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro