cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Guard 34560 Trips at night

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is a strange one. I have a Surge Guard model 34560, its the hardwired 50 amp model. Been working fine for over a year. 3 nights ago the thing starts tripping when my front air conditioner comes on. Next night it started tripping when either one comes on. I replaced my breaker at the pedestal, cleaned all contacts. Then measured voltage. I got 121 volts inside the pedestal, 121 volts in the receptacle, 121 volts on both sides of the surge guard and finally 121 volts at all the outlets in the motor home.

I checked the surge guard site and got their troubleshooting paperwork. My voltage is within their range of 102 to 132 volts.

Here is the real kicker. This only happens at night after the sun goes down! Very strange. I am in Florida and I run both my AC's all day with no issues. Anyone every have this happen? Thanks,
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
7 REPLIES 7

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tech siad something about the heat of the day then cooling at night causing transformer voltage to range higher and lower.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FPL could be switching the power and causing a power glitch. I've had that happen in CA.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just had FPL (power company) out here and they tested the lines. The tech says its a Florida thing with what happens at night. Says my surge guard is most likely too sensitive.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps dew condensing and causing a fault?
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
ken white wrote:
It is probably working fine - a low or high line condition is occurring at night. If you meter has a min/max hold feature, connect to the main panel and monitor overnight.

Thanks, I dont have the min/max on my meter, but I did leave it turned on next to my bed last night and had the leads in the outlet there. I had a range of 119 to 121 pretty much each time I looked at it.

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
It is probably working fine - a low or high line condition is occurring at night. If you meter has a min/max hold feature, connect to the main panel and monitor overnight.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Might we assume you contacted Surge Guard?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)