cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector error--open ground

smpsmpsmp
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my 5th wheel for the past 2 months at a friend's house. It was plugged into power with the surge protector in place. I checked it today and the code indicates there is no ground wire connection. What is the most likely cause of this? How do I determine where the problem is? Thanks for any advice.
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe it is just a bad connection. Remove and plug in a few times.
Next check the outlet with a tester or multimeter.
Try a different outlet to verify the protector is working.

Post an update.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my MH plugged in 24/7 for 10 years and occasionally my surge protector will show the "No Ground" error code but the MH has full power.

You indicate that it has been plugged in for 2 months. Did it show "No Ground" when you 1st plugged it in? Is the error code showing "No Ground" but is the power to you RV on now?

If both of the above are "yes" then there could have been a grid power outage sometime in the last 2 months caused by a lost ground which was corrected and your surge protector is just letting you know it happened.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While there can be a number causes of a bad ground connection, in the case of most "home" connections to a 15 amp connector, it is the adapter. Of course an extension cord with a missing ground pin would also cause the problem...

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
smpsmpsmp-
All the above advice is good, but before you go to a lot of trouble, try a quick test: Turn the breaker off, then scrub the plug in and out of the receptacle a few times. Sometimes the contacts (in this case the ground contact) in the receptacle get corroded and lose connection. That can happen with temperature changes. Then see if the code on you surge suppressor clears. If you have any adapter in the line, scrub those contacts also.

This is just a troubleshooting test - if it clears the problem you probably need to replace the receptacle for a permanent fix. Use a good quality receptacle.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Get one of these to help isolate problem. I would believe that is likely the adapter.
Circuit tester

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same code happen in an RV park last summer. It was caused by a defective outlet plug on the pedestal. The park replaced it while I waited and it checked out good.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a receptacle that has a known good ground, you could use an extension cord and see if there is continuity between the ground in the receptacle you're getting the fault on and the path to ground in the extension cord.
If continuity is observed, the surge guard device would then be suspect.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely cause is there is no ground wire connection...:W

Probably the receptacle is wired incorrectly and/or incomplete. Pretty easy to do if you're not an electrician. You don't say whether your receptacle is 30 or 50 AMP service. 50AMP has two hots, a neutral and a ground.

To easily check, use a meter and probe one of the hots and connect the other to the ground. You should show 120V on each leg. If not your ground wire is missing/broken/cut or was never installed.

To better help us help you, provide the NEMA number on the receptacle.....Dennis

HERE is more info...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG