cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Suppressor

LANShark42
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing whole unit surge suppressors from Under $100 to over $300. Are they necessary?

Also, I have a friend who camps who suggests buying a 30 to 50amp adapter and using the 50Amp power connector when I plug in my 30 amp TT. He claims the 50 amp circuits are cleaner and less people use them, so there's less chance of a brown out. Opinions??
2015 F250XLT 6.2l V8, 4x4, 10KEqual-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
2014 Akita (named Mizuki)
10 REPLIES 10

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

People who have never lost $1,000 worth of equipment to a power problem often say they are not necessary.

Would you rather risk thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment in your RV.......

All it takes is "once", how do you say...."grief"?

Here ya go -

The Electrician said "Oops"!

And another of the same

Progressive Industries - 50 or 30 amp (whichever you have), hard-wired or portable - is worth every penny.

NO loss to down time (how much is *your* time worth?) for repairs without one is a genuine bonus!..:W

LANShark42
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
It is not a converter. It is an adapter.

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not a converter. It is an adapter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I always plug into the 50 amp if it's there. they usually are not all burnt to heck. 50/30 adapter and the into the 30 amp cord. And don't forget to put a lock/chain something on your new surge protector. I chose the wired in one to prevent theft or water damage.

LANShark42
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm convinced. Just ordered this.

I'd like to hear more thoughts on plugging my 30Amp TT into the 50Amp box using a converter...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
People who have never lost $1,000 worth of equipment to a power problem often say they are not necessary. Would you rather risk thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment in your RV, or spend $250 one time?

As far as the 30 amp vs 50 amp outlet, your friend has a point. The 50 amp outlet probably has less usage so is less worn.

I've put my money where my mouth is. The link is to the unit that I installed in my RV 6 years ago. I have had it save my power system, probably, 3 or 4 times in that 6 years. If I bought another RV, I would install this unit immediately.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with the Progressive Industries from the Basic inline types to the Full protection EMS types. All have a lifetime warranty and never heard one complaint on them. I love mine.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a 30 amp Progressive Industries portable unit. If I had had it when we owned our Sunline, I could have saved a $250 AC repair.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
There is no real competition in RV power protection. Progressive Industries hard-wired is the only way to go.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Once you calculate what it would cost to replace all your electronics (tv, radio, dvd player, fridge, water heater, furnace, AC, etc) consider a surge protector sort of an insurance policy. I would recommend not just getting a surge protector but an EMS 30AMP power protection unit from Progressive Industries. An EMS unit will do more than just protect your camper from surges. They make both portable and hard wired units. Link:http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Here's a link to a recent thread:http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28168901.cfm