cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

techron

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
Can techron be used as a fuel stabilizer and if not can i mix a stabilizer with it when i put it in storage.I would rather use this over seafoam.
joe money
10 REPLIES 10

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
MARKW8 wrote:
While Techron is an excellent fuel system cleaner, I don't think it's engineered to work as a stabilizer. Many 97-04 Corvette owners, including myself, us it to keep the fuel gauges reading correctly. Seafoam does nothing for our problem.

Mark

Yup, been using it on my 01 coupe for years.
See ya in C5 Gen or CFOT !

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know offhand the max or min ratio of Oz. to gallons recommended by Techron, but it is a fuel system cleaner/combustion chamber cleaner, not a fuel stabilizer.

I do not know if it would be effective after sitting for x amount of time then run through the tank. I do not know if it would be effected if mixed with Stabil. I'd just use techron alone through an allotted amount of gas, then refill the tank with the prescribed amount of Stabil for when it sits to reduce the chances of bad interactions between the two products.

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
I personally would not mix the two but won't argue the personal experiences of others.

Techron is recommended only once per oil change. People have done Used oil analysis where the results after using techron are skewed when techron is added. A small percentage can get past the rings into the oil.

The PEA which is the effective detergent in Techron is said to be most effective when heat cycling. IE short trip driving as opposed to highway driving.

Some on another forum use a very small dose each tankful, much less than the recommended full dose. Don't know how effective this is.

I'd personally run the Techron or other PEA based fuel system cleaner through x amount of fuel and then add Stabil right before refilling the tank to minimize condensation for storage.
Are you recommenending me to fill with 20 gallons of fuel with a 20oz bottle of techron plus.Than refill before storage with stabile.Rather than a full tank with tachron?
joe money

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would not mix the two but won't argue the personal experiences of others.

Techron is recommended only once per oil change. People have done Used oil analysis where the results after using techron are skewed when techron is added. A small percentage can get past the rings into the oil.

The PEA which is the effective detergent in Techron is said to be most effective when heat cycling. IE short trip driving as opposed to highway driving.

Some on another forum use a very small dose each tankful, much less than the recommended full dose. Don't know how effective this is.

I'd personally run the Techron or other PEA based fuel system cleaner through x amount of fuel and then add Stabil right before refilling the tank to minimize condensation for storage.

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
GMT830 wrote:
Needless to say I'm a Seafoam fan.

I've done Seafoam intake cleanings on every vehicle I've owned. I even mixed a quart of gasoline with a quart of seafoam in a 7 gallon pig. Charged the pig to 90 psi and ran my 96 Tahoe off it till the pig was empty (Pulled the fuel pump relay and pinched the return line). Never ran smoother. Ran a half gallon of Seafoam through the last two tanks of fuel in Lena. One of those tanks included a double dose of Techron. I like both products, they are the only additives I use in my fuel.
Ok thanks,It seems there is no problem mixing the two.
joe money

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Needless to say I'm a Seafoam fan.

I've done Seafoam intake cleanings on every vehicle I've owned. I even mixed a quart of gasoline with a quart of seafoam in a 7 gallon pig. Charged the pig to 90 psi and ran my 96 Tahoe off it till the pig was empty (Pulled the fuel pump relay and pinched the return line). Never ran smoother. Ran a half gallon of Seafoam through the last two tanks of fuel in Lena. One of those tanks included a double dose of Techron. I like both products, they are the only additives I use in my fuel.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
MARKW8 wrote:
While Techron is an excellent fuel system cleaner, I don't think it's engineered to work as a stabilizer. Many 97-04 Corvette owners, including myself, us it to keep the fuel gauges reading correctly. Seafoam does nothing for our problem.

Mark
Is there any problem mixing the techron with a stabilizer?Would it be best to just wait untill i take it for a long trip and run it dry than put the techron in.Than run that dry and than fill up with a stabilizer before storage?
joe money

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer

Mark

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
GMT830 wrote:
What's your issue with Seafoam?

Best stuff out there. I use Seafoam with Sta-Bil, and 2 stroke oil if required, no issues. Highly recommend it.

Techron and Seafoam are both top choices for injector cleaners for your vehicle.

Never heard Techron used as a fuel stabilizer to more directly answer your question though....
There are not as many reported problems with techron plugging up filters and missing up injectors or o2 sensors etc.unless you overdose the tank with it.Im just not sure if a stabilizer can be mixed with techron.
joe money

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
What's your issue with Seafoam?

Best stuff out there. I use Seafoam with Sta-Bil, and 2 stroke oil if required, no issues. Highly recommend it.

Techron and Seafoam are both top choices for injector cleaners for your vehicle.

Never heard Techron used as a fuel stabilizer to more directly answer your question though....
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L