cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tekonsha Voyager help

V10_man
Explorer
Explorer
I was given a Voyager controller for free because it had a rattle comming from inside.(worked when he removed it) Well we got it apart and found a small rectangular thingy with what looks like a piece of steel or lead inside. It doesn't look like it broke off from anyplace. Anyone have any ideas?

1977 Ford F250 Supercab, 2002 Coleman Westlake
13 REPLIES 13

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
rode2nowhere wrote:
I never could get my prodigy set right, it was not consistent

No controller is consistent when the brakes are very cold or very hot. The beauty is you can reach down and adjust it.

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
I never could get my prodigy set right, it was not consistent

V10_man
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys thanks for the replys. I got it for free and it has(had, heheehe) the Ford wire harness on it so just for that it was worth it. My only trailers with brakes are a pop up and a utility trailer with a Rhino on it. Neither one is over 3k. I have a Prodigy already. Just looking for something for my son and his Ford truck.
1977 Ford F250 Supercab, 2002 Coleman Westlake

bigwheel1970
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the Prodigy 3 and I am extremely happy with it.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
My family has towed thousands of miles with a Voyager and no issues. More sophistication might be better on sales literature but not sure it feels better on the road.
BUT!!! Complaint I have about Voyager is No Digital Display. I've found it requires different settings for City and Open Road driving conditions. It would be very nice to be able to set the controller to where we like it than have to experiment to find the sweet spot again.
On the open road, it needs more brake effort to slow from 60 to 40 than in city to stop from 30. Do the more sophisticated controllers take vehicle speed into account as they initiate and control braking? If they do, that'd be well worth the price.

At first you seem to believe that "more sophistication" is not that important, then you list all the complaints you have about your primitive controller that are eliminated with a much more technologically advanced controller!!!!!!!!!!!!

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Get A Prodigy 3. Why fool around when you're messing with trailer braking?

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can contact Tekonsha Engineering, They are located in Tekonsha, Mi. I might even be able to give you directions if you need 'em to go there (it's just off I-69 and M-60 or "Old US-27" (for a small town it rates 2 exits).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
My family has towed thousands of miles with a Voyager and no issues. More sophistication might be better on sales literature but not sure it feels better on the road.
BUT!!! Complaint I have about Voyager is No Digital Display. I've found it requires different settings for City and Open Road driving conditions. It would be very nice to be able to set the controller to where we like it than have to experiment to find the sweet spot again.
On the open road, it needs more brake effort to slow from 60 to 40 than in city to stop from 30. Do the more sophisticated controllers take vehicle speed into account as they initiate and control braking? If they do, that'd be well worth the price.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
How much does your trailer weigh and would like to stop it?

It wasn't working when he had it if that part was loose inside.

Buy the best of brake controllers-a Prodigy!

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's broken alright... that piece rattling around was the weight used on pendulum that senses the inertia from braking on the tow vehicle...

Here's a picture of what the inside should look like, with a similarly broken pendulum sitting at the bottom. See where your piece should have been attached?...

I don't think its serviceable, but you can try to remount the weight with some superglue, assuming the pendulum can be safely removed from its pivot.

For the money, you are better off with a Prodigy. The Voyagers run ~80, the Prodigy ~110. Spend the $30 for a more durable unit.

I had a Voyager for one trip in 2004, and returned it for credit towards a Prodigy, and never looked back on that decision. When we sold our fifth wheel, I sold the hitch on Craigslist, but kept the Prodigy, just in case we ever go back to a trailer.

Did the same with my Reese DC-WD -- kept it just in case because it is such a good hitch, but that is now on Craigslist as well...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours has been working just fine for ten years now. Can't think what a 'better' one could do better.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Even when in good working order, the Voyager really isn't a great controller in comparison to today's options.

I agree with, dbbls. Dump it and look at a Prodigy.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I would not fool around with a freebie. The Voyager was not a great controller anyway. If it wasn't good enough for the previous owner why would it be good enough for you?
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel