cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to Replace LP Changeover Regulator - Recommendations?

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, folks!

My original Marshall automatic changeover (two-tank) regulator is beginning to leak. I've read recommendations on Camping World, Amazon, etc. and it seems like there are mixed reviews on all of them. I don't mind paying a little bit of a premium for a really reliable regulator, considering its function, but I can't seem to find one.

Anyone have any good recommendations they would be willing to share?

Thank you!
Regan
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had numerous failures over the years. I think I have tried all of the brands. The last one quit on me during a spring turkey hunt on the North Rim. Night time temps in the teens and no propane flow. I had to hot foot it to Flagstaff for a replacement. Wasted a whole day of hunting.
I then did what always seems to work. When I got home, I purchased a spare on ebay for half what I paid in Flag. Since I now carry it everywhere, I expect I will never need it.

This has been working great. I believe the one I last replaced is working longer than any of the others did.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow I overlooked the last two replies, and have been away from the forum for a while dealing with some family "stuff". But I did want to thank you both for the replies.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
If the pigtails haven't been replaced there is a good chance the leak is from them. Check before buying a new regulator.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
First let me state that i work for a Rego distributor.
The RegO 7525B34 would be the way to go.
Expensive - Yes
10 year Warranty - Yes
Only available thru LP Gas Professionals
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the prompt replies! I had actually just about settled on the Cavagna, sure enough, but even it has some unfavorable reviews. I understand that nothing's 100% perfect, but curious to see what others say?

Thanks again!
Regan

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for Cavagna, same for new pigtails. Amazon has all you need.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
My original Marshall automatic changeover (two-tank) regulator is beginning to leak. I've read recommendations on Camping World, Amazon, etc. and it seems like there are mixed reviews on all of them. I don't mind paying a little bit of a premium for a really reliable regulator, considering its function, but I can't seem to find one.

Anyone have any good recommendations they would be willing to share?

I seriously doubt there's much difference in reliability between any of the leading brands but I haven't had any issue with the Cavagna Auto Changeover Regulator that came with my 2014 Coachmen. These things don't last forever though so depending on how old yours is it may be due for replacement anyway.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380