cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire engineering question.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
So I go and get rig weighted and inflate rear tires to 10% over psi suggested in load and inflation tables.

Driving along and whats that BOOM noise? Got a blow out on the rear. In a miles long construction zone with no exits or place to pull over. Now one tire on one side is way overloaded, on my RV would be about 30% overload.

Question would be how far can I drive on the remaining tire before destroying it or needing to replace?
29 REPLIES 29

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with "The partner tire is damaged"
But.. I think I drove a few hundred miles with a flat dual (the inner) and did not find it was flat till I did a visual inspection..

I do not Suggest you try it

Nearest tire place is my suggestion.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I did not think of trailer tires when I posted! Interestingly I never considered psi for trailer tires as I never pull a trailer. So I took a quick peek and I'll be, load and inflation tables for STT!

https://tirepressure.com/special-trailer-tire-load-and-inflation-tablehttps://tirepressure.com/special-trailer-tire-load-and-inflation-table

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
In days of bias ply tires, over/under inflation compared to load had a dramatic effect on tire wear patterns. With today's radials overinflation, unless it is extreme seldom causes uneven wear. Underinflation= increased wear, increased heat, low tire life. And many ST tire mfg recommend running at max inflation pressure unless replacing with a much higher load index tire.

Now, I've put 35,K miles on my small trailer and 30K+ miles on my travel trailer. In both cases i ran the original maxis tires to about 20K miles before replaceent at max pressure and wear was even. i replaced them both with Goodyear endurance one LR higher and inflated to max psi. Lower rolling resistance, lower heat buildup and again the tires are wearing very evenly. I'll stick with max or near max pressure rather than messing with actual load/tire and some magical fudge factor.

And in that time I have had NO tire failures of any kind. My neighbor has pulled two different enclosed trailers 35ft a total of over 200K miles, again inflated to max psi, load range higher, no unusual wear, no tire failures.

Now on my cars/trucks I stick with the tire placard in the for inflation.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing 5th wheel trailer tires now because I lost the back left one recently. I figure the other tire got overloaded and would probably go boom soon. So I bought two new ones. Then I got to thinking and I'm going replace them all for peace of mind. My spare was really old so I bought 5 new tires in all, maybe I'll get another 3 years 7 months of trouble free running.

But I'm dealing with ST's and they don't do well with age. The one that went boom still looked great on the outside. But the trailer only only had about 900 miles on it this year, lots of sitting around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™m not even sure where this thread is goingโ€ฆ
Quotes all in the wrong place. Someone yelling they didnโ€™t have a tire failure but i think they didโ€ฆlol.
If tires are pretty new Iโ€™d rock the overloaded one. If theyโ€™re older, Iโ€™d probably replace it.
But no one knows what either tire was subjected to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever check how accrete their tire pressure gauge is? I have several gages and one reads quit a bit different than the others.

I believe that heat can cause quite a bit of damage to a tire, and load and speed cause heat. So when one duel blows and you drive slower because you are running with a blown tire, that helps the good one make it.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
So I go and get rig weighted and inflate rear tires to 10% over psi suggested in load and inflation tables.

I DID NOT HAVE A TIRE FAILURE. I keep getting told to run tires at much higher pressure in case I get a blow out, makes no sense.

Your tire failure may have been totally unrelated to air pressure. Still, I am curious: how did "10% over psi suggested in load and inflation tables" compare to sidewall max pressure?

In my mini Toyota sidewall max psi is 65, load and inflation table load range D tire calls for 39 psi, I run 43 and use TPMS.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to agree, I'd personally replace both tires afterwards for peace of mind.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
What Old Biscuit said
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
One tire blow out on a Dual means the other tire was instantly overloaded......damage is done and increases with drive time

No place to safely pull off....then you drive on it until you can safely pull over EVEN if it blows and your on the rim.

Gonna need 2 new tires regardless.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:

Your tire failure may have been totally unrelated to air pressure. Still, I am curious: how did "10% over psi suggested in load and inflation tables" compare to sidewall max pressure?
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will find all kinds of tire engineers right here on this forum.
To answer your question (as a non-engineer), I would replace it ASAP, I wouldn't trust it.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I have no specific answers to this, but an anecdotal one. We limped a friend's MH about 25mi to town on just an inner once. That inner was certainly very overloaded, and is still in service with a repaired outer several months later.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes but replace the unblown tire as soon as you can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Until it blows up and joins its partner.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member