cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires wearing on outside

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on my trailer are showing heavy wear on the outside of the tires. This is worst on the right hand side.

The tires are 205/75 14 Marathons. They have been kept at 50 PSI. The trailer was made Mar 2011. I don't know the tire date. There are no signs of sidewall cracking.

The axles are Dexter.

Does this indicate bent axles?

I need new tires for sure.

Thanks
Peter
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks
28 REPLIES 28

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

There are many on this forum that don't have a clue.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem like this years ago. Found a local guy who did alignment on tandem trailer axles. He actually had a setup with jacks to bend the axles to true them. Made axles parallel and perpendicular to the hitch.

I watched as he appeared to know his stuff. Showed me his alignment readings as he progressed. Appeared to do the trick.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
cyntdon2010 wrote:
should be 65 PSI. your tire are underinflated.

TOSS them out, don't risk a blow out.

I disagree. I had those same size Marathons on my old trailer and max psi was 50 psi. This is a 14" tire.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kuhmo Radial 857

If your looking to replace tires down the road, alot of people will suggest Maxxis, but you might want to consider these as well. I put these on last summer and I could tell an immediate improvement. No other 14" tire has the load capacity of these and they're 99 mph speed rated.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Looking at the tires again this morning I see that the wear is not even around the tire. Some parts of the tire has tread that is fine. Just the way the trailer is sitting now the worn tread is up and visible. If the tires were turned 90 degrees the heavy wear would not be visible.

So I'm suspecting failure of the tires since being out of camber or alignment should cause wear all the way around the tire.

Still need to get it checked and decide on which tires to get from what is available.
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Raymon wrote:
Interesting. How was it determined that the belt had shifted or broken? I am just curious

Ray
Maybe it is harder to see in a picture but the tire is fairly out of round. The tread is variably out of shape across the surface. About 3/4 up on the left you can see the tread actually ripping apart. Also 100 miles prior the tire to the rear lost the entire tread coming down I5 though Los Angeles. Still held air.

It is a Denman Express ST205/75R15-D about four years old.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar wear pattern with my old trailer. Trailmanor replaced the axle with a higher rated one under warranty.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It is actually normal for trailer tires to wear the outside more than the inside- due to the tall aspect of the trailer and crowned roads. Most axle alignment problems cause cupping, rather than straight wear.
-- Chris Bryant

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Read his lips, he said both tires are doing it.
That means the "toe in" is toed in too much, which means "bent axle.
The tire showing the least wear is loaded the heaviest, giving it a little more traction, meaning a little less scrubbing than the other.

If it was "camber" causing the problem, the camber would have to be really bad meaning a really bad bent axle.
At any rate, fix the trailer before tearing up a new pair of tires !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Here is one of mine with an internal belt shifted or broken. Initially I though the alignment was out.

Actually the alignment was out a bit but did not cause the wear issue.

Interesting. How was it determined that the belt had shifted or broken? I am just curious

Ray

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck. PM sent
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
you are correct forgot you said outside. but it seems the camber is out if like I said if both ends of the axle are wearing like this

It does look like the camber is out. The right side is the worst especially on the front tire. Tomorrow I'll try to find a shop in Tucson that can check trailer axle allignment.
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
you are correct forgot you said outside. but it seems the camber is out if like I said if both ends of the axle are wearing like this
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
Has the trailer been overloaded? Looks as if the camber is way out if they are wearing like this on either end of the axle.

The trailer has been weighed and is well under the GVWR. Also speed has bee kept to around 62 MPH tops.

The wear is on the outside edge of the tire. I think that any overload would cause the tire to be tilted out at the bottom, not in.
Thanks
Peter
2011 Jayco 28U
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks