cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Im home, and safe ,thats what matters the most.

We have a 2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, pulled by a Dodge Ram 2500 CTD shortbed, Airlift 5000, with a Superglide hitch.

We were vacationing in SW Ontario at inlaws and the night before we left I saw rubber missing from one tire, decided to replace it at 10 PM. Thought this was a good Idea, a little preventative maintenance before the tire blows and I dont have to worry about major damage.

Around 4 PM Saturday we pulled into a rest stop (wifes weak bladder). Everything looked ok, spare tire was functioning well. It was damn Hot, probably close to 100F. set off and about an hour down the road Max, I just glanced at the rear view and saw Smoke, checked other mirror, checked original one again still saw smoke. **** the engine Blew, but it didnt show any symptoms.

Pulled over on the side of the 401 just 2 Km from Quebec border to find out what was going on. The tire behind the one I replaced with the shredded one was shredded like cheese. Powdered rubbed was sitting on the road as well. No major damage, rubber scuff marks on the wheel cowling which can be fixed easily. It took more than 2 hours to find someone to come change the tire (no tools at the time). And on the side of the 401 thats hairy.

The tires on the trailer when I got it are Goodyear Marathon ST 235/80R16. I replaced that tire with the only tore within 100 miles on a Sunday its a Carlisle ST 235/80R16, load range is E instead of the Goodyear's D. I have read abouty crappy tires before and cant remember if these are one of the brands. Can someone Help me.
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension
11 REPLIES 11

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Re read it again then

Guess that answers the question, all right.

Thanks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Re read it again then
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Both brands have big issues.
Is it your opinion that the O.P.'s tire trouble is strictly related to brand/type, Jim? (Age/size/miles/maintenance etc. insignificant?)

Read my above reply.

I did. That's why I asked the question!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Is it your opinion that the O.P.'s tire trouble is strictly related to brand/type, Jim? (Age/size/miles/maintenance etc. insignificant?)

Read my above reply.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on the trailer when I got it are Goodyear Marathon ST 235/80R16. I replaced that tire with the only tore within 100 miles on a Sunday its a Carlisle ST 235/80R16, load range is E instead of the Goodyear's D. I have read abouty crappy tires before and cant remember if these are one of the brands. Can someone Help me.

Both brands have big issues. And have for years.
The Carlisle are #1 and the Marathons are #2 in ST tire complaints on NHTSA website plus pages and pages of same type issues on all types of trailering websites (not just RVs).

Your in luck.
Your OEM 16" ST D tires at 3000 lbs isn't made anymore. Now your open to a LT E tire at 3042 lbs capacity in a LT235/85-16 E or the shorter LT245/75-16 E. Make the change and forget about ST tire issues.

And of course have the trailers suspension checked over by a pro big rig trailer repair shop or your RV dealer if you have confidence in them. Only a check will determine if re alignment is necessary. IMO most of the time its not but just worn out pins and bushings.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This raises a towing question in my mind:

Is it possible to have one or more of a trailer's axles not exactly at 90 degrees to the frame - so that the tires are slightly scrubbing continuously as you travel?

If so, this would both wear them faster and create tremendous heat over time that would shred them or blow them out ... especially in hotter than normal temperatures.

Does it ever make sense to have a trailer's axles re-aligned sometime after you've bought the trailer - or do manufacturers always get this alignment dead-on ... and if so, does it stay dead-on year after year?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
It's sort of an important question- hard to decide if the tires are you-know-what without knowing how old they are. You say they were on the rig when you got it- when was that?

And FYI: here' a chart showing how to read the date code. I'd be really interested to know their age.

Me too...

Remember, if one tire is compromised, the mate is too because it's required to carry a larger burden....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
It's sort of an important question- hard to decide if the tires are you-know-what without knowing how old they are. You say they were on the rig when you got it- when was that?

And FYI: here' a chart showing how to read the date code. I'd be really interested to know their age.

Tuzlo
Explorer
Explorer
That I dont know, but I think the one side is older than the other. The drivers side look a lot better
2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 L CTD, pull rite super glide 2700, load lifter 5000
2005 Carriage Cameo 27RKS, more ryde suspension

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The tire you "took off because it had a chunk missing" was obviously shot. If it was one of a four-tire set, I'm not surprised that its neighbor blew next. The other side probably won't be far behind, especially if the tires are aging.

How old were/are the Goodyears that blew? Surely not the same age as the trailer...