cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too much coolant causing low coolant alarm?

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
So my check engine light came on along with a message on my command center. Message reads "Alarm. Engine Coolant Level % 101.6 Value too low"

Seems odd to me that having 101.6% is too low. I have the proper amount of coolant in the reservoir and the coach cooling system seem to work fine.

I bought a new coolant level sensor, but it came DOA. When I swapped out the old one I got actual "low coolant" alarms with "low coolant" displayed on the dash and audible alarms.

Anyone ever see this before?
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
5 REPLIES 5

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
If your injector cups are leaking, you smell diesel in your coolant.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
When we started getting that alarm, we too had plenty of coolant in the reservoir. But we still got a low coolant alarm. Sometimes we would go into limp mode for a few minutes, then she would start running like the wind and run all day. Next day, hard to start, back to low coolant levels, etc. Took it to SEVEN Cat garages in different states as we were fulltiming and traveling and no one could find a problem. Took it to the Gaffney service center. . . nothing wrong.

This went on for nearly a year while we were fulltiming. Finally something happened and coolant blew out the overflow and all over the toad and back of the motorhome. (Phaeton) Took it to Cat in Edinburg, Texas, and the tech said, "Your injector cup seals, 1 or more, are bad and allowing diesel fuel to mix with the coolant." Hence the sensor (which we had replaced) thought the coolant was low when in fact the reservoir was overflowing. Had all the injector cup seals replaced. Problem solved and never another problem while we owned the coach. They were the only ones from then on who did our service work.

Dale

Thanks for the reply. I hope that is not the issue, but we'll see. I have a Cummins however, but I know they have the same parts. And when the alarm first came on the reservoir was a bit low, so I topped it off. I have since drained the reservoir twice and did not see anything in the coolant that should not be there. Yet anyway.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
So basically you lucked out and came across a tech who had seen this relatively uncommon problem before, whereas the other techs who looked at it previous were following normal troubleshooting processes and finding no issues.

I'm just saying I don't think you can blame the previous techs for not finding the problem. They're not superheroes.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we started getting that alarm, we too had plenty of coolant in the reservoir. But we still got a low coolant alarm. Sometimes we would go into limp mode for a few minutes, then she would start running like the wind and run all day. Next day, hard to start, back to low coolant levels, etc. Took it to SEVEN Cat garages in different states as we were fulltiming and traveling and no one could find a problem. Took it to the Gaffney service center. . . nothing wrong.

This went on for nearly a year while we were fulltiming. Finally something happened and coolant blew out the overflow and all over the toad and back of the motorhome. (Phaeton) Took it to Cat in Edinburg, Texas, and the tech said, "Your injector cup seals, 1 or more, are bad and allowing diesel fuel to mix with the coolant." Hence the sensor (which we had replaced) thought the coolant was low when in fact the reservoir was overflowing. Had all the injector cup seals replaced. Problem solved and never another problem while we owned the coach. They were the only ones from then on who did our service work.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My first guess is there is an air pocket! How much liquid is in the pressurized "overflow" tank?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker