cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer Roof

Campers5717
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. My parents have a 1996 Prowler 23 foot travel trailer. They've owned it for for roughly a year and the people before didn't take the best care of it. They have a leak in the bathroom and I checked the roof and found most all seals shot. So I will be repairing those for them. But I also noticed the entire roof is black. Did this happen because it wasn't taken care of? Or do they actually make black roofs? Does it have to be replaced if it's not cracked anywhere? Thank you everyone!
12 REPLIES 12

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be careful using any solvents on rubber roofs they can damage it. wa8xym advise above is good tho. That's what I'd do.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you write off the existing roof, Try a mop and a bucket of Spic & Span Just like you were moping the kitchen floor

or a "Van Wash" (long handled car was brush) instead of a mop.

If the black mops off, then INSPECT the roof (rinse with a garden hose first)

In any case.. Cleaning the existing roof is the first step so it's not wasted effort should the roof need renewal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
crasster wrote:
Seal the seams with eternabond and re-coat the edpm. To replace a 1996 roof on an RV with damage may not be worth the $. The idea is to just re-seal and get more use out of it for several years.

That would be my inclination after an inch by inch check for soft spots
Superbumper

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seal the seams with eternabond and re-coat the edpm. To replace a 1996 roof on an RV with damage may not be worth the $. The idea is to just re-seal and get more use out of it for several years.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bruce_Brown
Westend has it right - the white has aged off, the rubber base is showing through. I wouldn't reseal a thing just yet, I'd replace the whole darn thing.

The issue may be, as has been noted, how much damage has already been done. As mentioned, wood rot is a real issue, and the wood acts like a sponge. At first it just sucks up the moisture until it can't take anymore.

A few years ago I bought a water logged TT. I knew it was bad when I bought it, I don't think anyone has any idea how bad until they tear into it.

Camper Rehab
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above two posts-covering all of the seams with Eternabond is the way to go!

Also-I have seen 20 year old trailers that the roof is in great shape because it wasn't scrubbed a ton and accumulated a layer of 'grime' that seemed to act like an additional layer of protection against the sun and some other forces.
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Try to clean a small area and see if it really black, or could it be white under
a bunch of tree sap.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Typical RV EPDM rubber roofs were installed with a white coating. Over years of use and storage, the EPDM will shed the white coating, leaving only the underlying black material.

There are a few after market coating products sold. Dicor is one trusted brand. In '96, typical sealants were butyl tape and maybe an OEM caulk. Previous owners may have been up there trying to seal the roof. If it was me (and it was, once), I'd remove any old sealants and replace with Eternabond tape. Look on the Eternabond website and see how surface prep and installation is done. This tape is a lifetime sealant.

Also, you may have some frame and floor damage (likely) from water intrusion. It can be repaired.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe the outcome will be good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is probably at the end of its life. Leaks? depending on,how long it has been leaking can mean serious trouble. Wood rot and dangerous mold are two that come to mind. Hope they did not pay much for it? To do it right means probably stripping the roof, repairing the damage and installing a new roof. That alone could cost way more than the trailer is worth.
Good luck what ever you decide.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
They get mold on them which turns them gray or eventually black I guess
Superbumper