cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT Tire Pressure

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things were much easier before the TST monitor ๐Ÿ™‚ Tires were up to pressure, and then they weren't!

Tire have max pressure of 60 PSI. They were at 57 when I left MI, while driving to FL got up to a max of 69. Is this acceptable while driving? Temps were just a few degrees above ambient.

One interesting point, right side tires run a touch hotter 2F over left side.
39 REPLIES 39

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Things were much easier before the TST monitor ๐Ÿ™‚ Tires were up to pressure, and then they weren't!

Tire have max pressure of 60 PSI. They were at 57 when I left MI, while driving to FL got up to a max of 69. Is this acceptable while driving? Temps were just a few degrees above ambient.

See if this will ease your mind any:
How To Use Your TPMS?

It has practical hints and suggestions for using your TPMS.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filling to max cold pressure gives the max weight rating per my tire's manufacturer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
In the sun they may read much hotter than that.

I'm as much concerned with temperature as I am pressure. If any wheel gets significantly hotter than the other, it's time to pull over.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't see your trailer on your profile page. If these are original tires/wheels, I'd certainly run them at max pressure. I know some people way over tire their trailers, then reduce pressure. IMO, not the best option, but opinions vary, especially with the huge number of tire experts on any RV forum! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:

You say tire max is 60 psi, and 57 when you left. Normal TT tires would be 50/65/80 max pressure, or more, depending size/plies. If yours are supposed to be 65, running them at 57 will cause more heat. Towing at normal speed, a gain of 10 psi is normal. The sun side does run slightly warmer, normal also.

Jerry

I'll look again, but it may have been the wheels that set max pressure at 60. Looks like the tires are 65max

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve gained as much as 16 psi on a highway trip on a sunny day, when close to max weight. No issues, and still on those tires now 3 years later
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
philh wrote:

You say tire max is 60 psi, and 57 when you left. Normal TT tires would be 50/65/80 max pressure, or more, depending size/plies. If yours are supposed to be 65, running them at 57 will cause more heat. Towing at normal speed, a gain of 10 psi is normal. The sun side does run slightly warmer, normal also.

Jerry

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
The max pressure is COLD pressure. The tire engineers know it's going to go up when the tire heats up, and they allow for that.

And there is the right answer. Tire PSI goes up as the tires heat up. It is what they are designed to do.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
The max pressure is COLD pressure. The tire engineers know it's going to go up when the tire heats up, and they allow for that.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that's fine and if the sun is shining on one side I've had it be 10 degrees hotter or more.