cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tv antenna - no/poor reception

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I expect too much from our tv antenna, but we rarely get any reception. It's not at all like the crank up type we had in the 5er. There's no crank handle. It must be hard wired in?

We don't watch television much, but it be nice to catch the Packers on a local channel every now and then.

Some friends we camp with can scan in loads of channels, but we might get 1 or 2 and they're fuzzy.

Should we think about changing? Is it even worth it for the small amount that we would watch? How difficult is it and what type. By my sig- you can see we have a TC. It's straight stick antenna.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
28 REPLIES 28

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
... Some friends we camp with can scan in loads of channels, but we might get 1 or 2 and they're fuzzy .....
With digital TV it is either clear or nothing.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
It figures that the unit is junk. You should have seen the stereo/DVD player they had put in it. I can't remember the company but it should have called "wesuck". It ate our 1st and only DVD we tried in it. So, possibly a new antenna will be added later.

I shouldn't complain too much however as the stereo was a smaller unit and they added an extra drawer in our unit. Every other one we've seen so far has the regular Jensen and they have 1 drawer.

BONUS for us! BTW our cheap ($40) stereo is great and doesn't eat the CDs.

Once again, thanks Old Biscuit.
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it comes to TV (and other) antennas, "omni" means "equally bad in all directions".
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The OP 's antenna is junk. Maybe 25 mile range at best.

For comparison we were in McLane S.P. in the UP less than 2 weeks ago. For the few who had antennas up, the got 2 channels out of Calumet, MI.

I got 16. All the channels from Duluth / Superior area about 175 miles across Lake Superior. It as a sunny day and I kept the signals from dawn until mid after noon. I think I lucked out with signal bounce off a calm Lake Superior.

I have the new Winegard Razor Air mounted on the higher Sensor mast. I also use 2 amplifiers. I have adjustable gain from 10 to 20 DBS.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's what we have: Jensen ANHD20 mobile OMNI-directional wideband antenna

Therein lies your issue......

Jensen
Omni-Directional

Jensen

It lays flat to roof/blocked by A/C unit and is omni-directional (and a Jensen Product).

You would need to find direction of TV transponder towers then 'relocate truck' so that you could receive signals

The ole winegard crank up is best for TV provided head is aimed towards towers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is where I cut and pasted it from. Funny how it works differently for different users.

Sorry to go OT there....VR and I now return you to your regularly-scheduled television thread. :B
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:

You don't see this under the OP's original post:

I was misinformed about it then.

Yes exactly. I did NOT, and still do not, see a sig on the original post.

I am not, however, saying that you are wrong about this.....as it might be displayed differently to different users.

If YOU go back and view the original post, do YOU see the signature ??

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
For me, in this thread at least, it works the other way around.
I do NOT see their sig on the original post but DO see it on this last reply.

Their reply also did not mention finding the amplifier switch; having the amplifier ON, if there is one present, can be very important.

You don't see this under the OP's original post:

USAF ret E-9&E-7

But it appears on their most recent one? I was misinformed about it then.

Am wondering about an amp, too. The OP mentioned changing the stereo system. It might have gotten disconnected if it was in the same cabinet.
It's his Super Power!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Your signature shows in your original post. Subsequent posts on the same thread will not show your signature. (Just the way the forum works.)

Odd. For me, in this thread at least, it works the other way around.
I do NOT see their sig on the original post but DO see it on this last reply.

Their reply also did not mention finding the amplifier switch; having the amplifier ON, if there is one present, can be very important.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Your signature shows in your original post. Subsequent posts on the same thread will not show your signature. (Just the way the forum works.)
It's his Super Power!

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
:S

DH just laughed at me and said "look at the roof". We do have a TV antenna. Honestly, I didn't see it. Blends right in with the AC unit. (Another instance of a woman making women look dumb".

Here's what we have: Jensen ANHD20 mobile OMNI-directional wideband antenna

We do always perform an auto-scan for channels. We get very few, no matter where we are. We have hooked to cable once and stations were clear. That is a rarity for us. It's not a MUST HAVE, just a would be nice. We do turn on the switch on the outlet next to the TV.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. DH will check connections first then trouble shoot from there.

We did change out the stereo/DVD player right away. It was a POC and wouldn't run the DVDs and would keep them. We now use a car stereo and a portable DVD player if we want to watch a movie.

BTW- does my signature not show? We have a 2011 Adventurer 910 FBS truck camper.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:

The OPs sig doesn't show up yet so it would help if he gave us make and model of the RV.

I have an OEM omni on my Winnie and it is pretty useless.......UNTIL you turn on the signal amplifier, that is just a tiny little button on one of the outlet plates. With that ON, it works fairly good in most places.

I found this truck camper in his sig: 2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs

That camper had only the TV wiring as standard and the antenna as an option.

The typical "amplifier" is a power switch AND a cable switch. Turning it on connects the antenna to the TV. It is no wonder if reception is poor if the antenna is disconnected. The actual amplifier only overcomes signal loss in the cables and connections.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
Wilson makes a "short-stick-type "

The 800/1900MHz frequencies are cellphone. UHF TV starts at 470 and used to stop at 800... channel 69.

Yup. Was just asking if this is what the OP was using since she said it was "stick type". If so, could explain why the neighbor gets a bunch of channels while the OP gets nothing.
It's his Super Power!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Joe417 wrote:

I previously had an Omni-directional antenna. It was a disk that mounted on the roof and didn't work too well.

The OPs sig doesn't show up yet so it would help if he gave us make and model of the RV.

I have an OEM omni on my Winnie and it is pretty useless.......UNTIL you turn on the signal amplifier, that is just a tiny little button on one of the outlet plates. With that ON, it works fairly good in most places.