cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV antenna signal problem

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new Puma 30DBSS. Ok, Tv will work normal off the antenna until I turn certain lights on. It seems that all LED lights on the ceiling that cause the TV to lose signal from the antenna when these lights are switched on. Any ideas? They are factory installed LED lights. The TV is a Visio that I installed.
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW
23 REPLIES 23

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, warranty will point fingers at the manufacturers and they will say to take it up with them.. There are things that can be done but you need to be a little tech savvy and handy with a soldering iron at the board level to get anywhere. OR, as Roy points out, replace them with non-regulates lamps, but them you stand the risk of burning them out due to over-voltage.

It always somethin'..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say you need a book.. One possible book to look at is this one ARRL RFI book 3rd Edition

It explains a whole bunch of how to reduce/eliminate Radio Frequency Interference, from many sources.

I used to have an older version of the book.

NOTE: There are other books like it, but ... Well.. I'm a life member of the ARRL so naturally I think of their library first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
WI Bowhunter wrote:
I figured it would be RFI, but why would a manufacturer use lights that can interfere with there own antenna? I will take it up with warranty department.

Complaining to the warranty department won't do any good.

It is going to take hundreds of complaints to the FCC and maybe when they are done worrying about "wardrobe malfunctions" they will do something about it.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 - yup, RFI caused by the LEDs

My fix was to change to the cheap $4.99 EBAY/CHINA boards. You can get ten for less than $50. In my case it didn't matter which LED light you would turn on in the trailer - they all bothered my HDTV receptions as well as my NOAH WX radio and cut back on received two meter/440 Ham radio reception. It did not bother my AM/FM JENSEN radio...

The RFI Problem comes from the BUCK BOAST Regulator chips on your new LEDs lights...

You can see the regulator chips just under the red wire here in this photo

The cheap ebay/china boards only have LED lamps installed on them - no regulator components.

If you are using a contained replacement bulb type the regulator chips are inside the assembly.

Since I already had a bunch of the regulator type LED SMD boards I installed a three position switch in my existing ceiling lamp fixture where it selected OFF-ONE-BOTH. Making the ONE position the cheap $4.99 ebay/china LED board. This way I could cut my lights in half power while we were camping off the power grid using the OTA Batwing antenna for the Natl Broadcast signals from the local towns. The signal strength of the camp ground CABLE connections over ride the RFI being received. However my NOAH WX radio signal still gets interfered with whether I am camping off the power grid or at a camp ground.

Some have used this type of ceiling lamp fixture that comes with a ON-FF switch for each side. Then have one side using the just the cheap $4.99 led EBAY/CHINA SMD board.

This is a well documented problem and after many discussions with the different LED manf they mostly say the problem is not big enough for them to make big changes in how the make the LEDs.

The other problem is the manf are within the FCC limit rules for creating RFI that may interfere with your other electronics. Only one company being STARLIGHTS Inc Jason Weaver is about the only one that will talk about the problem.. He was playing with a different regulator called PWN regulators with an EMI Bridge. I never heard anymore about this...

The downside for using the non-regulated type SMD boards is the voltage range we play with. My setup uses 12.0VDC to 14.4VDC VOLTAGE range and some claim this may shorten the life of some non-regulated LEDs. So far after a couple years of use I have only lost one three segment line of LED lamps on one board. I figure I can wait a lot longer and still get more life of the LED board and then just replace the whole thing. $4.99 is not too much of cost factor to worry about it.

A few HAM types have played with installing capacitors and wire beads at certain places around the boards and fixtures etc and may have some success in killing the RFI. The 1/8-inch square chip capacitors are too small for me to work with hehe...

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I figured it would be RFI, but why would a manufacturer use lights that can interfere with there own antenna? I will take it up with warranty department.
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like RFI. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
It's RFI radiated out of the switching regulator in LED itself, and while it is using the DC wire as its antenna, all that garbage is gone within a few feet of the lamp. It's the antenna picking up the RFI directly from the lamp, not into the preamp via its DC input, and that's what makes it so hard to kill.

It you're a techie type you can get in there and do a few things to the LED itself that may help or cure it, but there's no slam-dunk fix
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
yup, RFI caused by the LEDs
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I has been mentioned previously that some LED lights cause RF signal interference. Probably what is happening to yours. I don't have a cure but first thing I would do is insure the antenna booster is on a different circuit from the lights.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900