cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV picture dies when generator runs

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tioga 31M class C motorhome with a Jensen dc television and a ac/dc dvd player. I had not noticed before, but when I am off the grid and watching a dvd movie off the coach batteries and turn on the generator to recharge the batteries, the tv screen goes dark, but the sound of the movie keeps playing. I have to turn off the tv and then turn it back on and then it will continue playing normally. Shutting off the generator does not have the same effect. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Is it a matter of installing some kind of filter? In case it matters, my motorhome is not equipped with an automatic transfer switch, so when I anticipate having to recharge the coach batteries, I plug in the shore power cord to the receptacle to power all 110 appliances ahead of time.
11 REPLIES 11

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
dave !

his TV is a 12vdc TV running from battery power NO inverter involved

I doubt he wants to switch to using inverter AC

besides..if the batteries are weak enough the inverter could "fault" and give the same problem

Thanks Mr. Wizard, I didn't catch the DC on the TV. I will say that when running on my generator power when the Air conditioner would kick in my AC TV would go out most of the time. Switching my AC TV to the inverter solved that problem. But rereading the post I can see we are talking different issues.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

MrWizard
dave .. you switched a DC tv to AC wall wart running from inverter ?

besides..if the batteries are weak enough the inverter could "fault" and give the same problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
dave !

I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I solved this very problem by running my tv and direct tv box off a inverter run directly from the battery.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, I think you are absolutely correct and it makes perfect sense! Good job. Thanks.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Or, I could simply turn off the tv and dvd before starting the generator. So far, the house batteries have been extremely reliable and appear to hold their full charge, so I will hold off for a while replacing them. Thanks for all your help.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
CG,

The explanation is actually simple if I can make it understood.....
When you crank the genset (APU) in pulls the bank voltage down. Now, the simple part is that the audio part of the set is simpler that the video. The video actually is a computer that assembles the picture, and when the voltage dips too low, that computer's program loses its place and needs to be restarted. The problem comes that the boot-up routine is trigger by the set sensing "Power On", and, as it didn't power on, the re-boot doesn't happen. TVs aren't the only things with this problem.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MrWizard
There is a voltage drop while the generator is cranking
The fact it never happen before is not relevant
The batteries are older
As far as the loss of video while sound is still playing
Is the result of the internal electronics of the TV
Keep doing what your doing and eventually the TV will shut completely off , while starting the generator
Until you buy new batteries, I suggest you start the generator...before you watch tv
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're off grid, you WFCO converter isn't doing anything until the generator is up to speed. My generator takes about 15 seconds after starting before it generates AC power.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I considered that, but wouldn't the tv also lose the audio if total power loss occurred? It only loses the picture. Also, wouldn't it also affect the 12 volt DVD player, which keeps working normally? I would think that as long as I am connected to the batteries, cranking the generator would allow the WFCO converted to make a smooth transition and should not affect any 12 volt device I am using.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe when you're cranking the generator the DC voltage drops too low for the TV and it shuts itself off.