cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Problem?

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 digital LED TV sets. One in the bedroom, and one in the kitchen/living room. I have a Lava HD-2805 antenna, connected to a Winegard RV-7042 wall plate. Reception is very acceptable as is. The problem I have is the kitchen TV has tiling and sound issues on one channel (#7) only. The bedroom TV receives the same channel (#7) with no problem. I have swapped coax cable connections, and no matter how I connect, the kitchen TV refuses to receive (#7) without tiling. The TV works fine on CATV where it is tuned via the cable box (TV channel #4), but I don't have CATV in my RV. I purchased the TV 3/22/13 so it is out of warranty. I think my option is a new TV set in the kitchen? I watch the channel (#7) quite frequently.
16 REPLIES 16

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Davidlee64 wrote:
Channel 7 is AZ 7 KAZT-TV 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3. It originates in Prescott, Az. 3.2 kW power. Kitchen TV is farther from Winegard plate. 18' of coax. Samsung (bedroom) was tested with approx 60' of new coax and still had no issue. Kitchen TV (Apex) was tested with same new coax, from Winegard plate, and still had same identical issues.
Samsung receives KAZT-TV without any irregardless of coax length. issues.
OTA Ch36.. Shoot the Apex

(BTW- I got the TV's reversed. A numb Apex is no surprise)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
New TV (Sanyo)and I have my missing channels. Perfect!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let us know how it goes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I have swapped everything but the kitchen TV always seems to be the issue. I noticed something this morning as well. The volume on the kitchen TV has been "lacking" for some time now. The volume has to be turned way up to hear it comfortably. I noticed this morning that when the show on went from quiet to sound, as in person not talking for a moment or 2, the sound spikes when voice starts, then drops. Almost like a surge. I will be picking up a new TV this afternoon.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have swapped the TV's to see if the problem follows the TV or follows the connection and the kitchen TV still does not keep a good signal then you will know that you need to replace the TV. It's likely the tuner is not as good as the other TV's tuner or the connection to or inside the TV is damaged.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even two same make and model TV's may perform differently.

Another possible issue is the splitter.. I assume it is the winegard wall plate that is a good one) and the LENGTH of the coax..

I rather like my Winegard Sensar III with added wingman and Sensar Pro "Wall plate".. Nothing beats it, I mean NOTHING.

One possible issue is the antenna connector on the TV. See comments on TV (Same make and model may be different) this is one of the differences.. Some need a bit longer center wire on teh cable
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
Channel 7 is AZ 7 KAZT-TV 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3. It originates in Prescott, Az. 3.2 kW power. Kitchen TV is farther from Winegard plate. 18' of coax. Samsung (bedroom) was tested with approx 60' of new coax and still had no issue. Kitchen TV (Apex) was tested with same new coax, from Winegard plate, and still had same identical issues.
Samsung receives KAZT-TV without any irregardless of coax length. issues.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which TV is farther away from the Winegard wall plate? If it's the TV with issues it could be issues with wiring or couplings between the wall plate and the TV.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
It's not unusual for two different TV receivers to perform different, but it's usually backwards from what you describe: the tier 1 receiver is more sensitive than the tier 3 (Apex), and it never shows up until you get into a weak area. Rather than pulling TV's, grab another piece of cable and run between the TV and the Winegard panel direct and see what you get. That blocking means the receiver is on the hairy edge of working/ not working... it often takes very little to sway the results either way. Adding a Winegard SensorPro will compensate for coax losses which usually aren't much, but sometimes that's all it takes.. If the Samsung is really that numb, all you can do is beef up the antenna and distribution

Question: I assume you are talking about virtual channel 7 and not the real OTA channel?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
Bedroom TV is Samsung 32" LED. Kitchen TV is Apex 32" LED. The Apex also
has poor volume, and I have to keep it turned up to "70"+ or so to get a reasonable sound level. According to info I have found, the Apex TV is a bottom of the line piece of equipment. I switched input coax from one TV
to the other with the same results. I put new coax in and it made no difference. The only thing I have not done is to put another TV in place of the Apex and see if I can get the crappy channels to work. Yes- channels 7.1 - 7.3.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on sch911's suggestion to look for electro magnetic interference. Start Turning other things, especially lights, off to see if it has any impact on the tv
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any other electronic device that could be interfering with the kitchen TV through EMI? A WiFi router, cordless phone, etc...?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Swap TVS....bedroom to kitchen, kitchen to bedroom

As mentioned..TV Tuners are different UNLESS TVs are the exact same models....not Brands but Models

Have 2 Vizios in 5th wheel.....one gets a couple more channels then other one
Quality/abilities of the tuners.

Same with the 2 TV in house....same OTA antenna. Same brands/different models
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31