cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Diesel from Large Gas'r-??? What Do We Need ???

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

Thanks for your previous advise on our recent post "Think'n of Buy'n a Big Pusher - ?? Check it out How ??"

Well, we DID check it out WITH YOUR HELP, and went for it. We take delivery in a few days of the "2005 Monaco 400hp ISL cummins, w/Allison 3000, on a roadmaster rr8s"

THE QUESTION IS... WHAT DO TOOLS/PARTS DO WE NEED TO COLLECT & STOW FOR THE ROAD?

BELTS, HOSES, FILTERS, TOOLS?

Please reply if you have Diesel RV experience in this matter, as we have lots of opinions, but little experience.

We are old gassers and do most all our maint.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP?
7 REPLIES 7

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new ride. First job is to find a good independent mechanic. Freightliner and the brand name shops cost an arm and a leg per hour and you never know who is going to work on your rig.

Hopefully you got service records. Most DPs require a full fluid change every 5 years. Differential, power steering, coolant flush and replace (use extended life)new thermostat, trans, air system dessicant, fuel and oil filters. Same for genset. I would do belts and hoses as well.

If you didnt get any records, I would want to establish a baseline.

Hopefully the tires are fresh.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Number one - get a road service! We have used Coach Net and have been very happen with them. That takes a lot of the worry off as they will send help and provide a tow if necessary.

We do carry an extra fuel filter and know how to change it as a bad load of fuel is not uncommon. It is changed annually with the oil so unless we get bad fuel, the spare isn't used. They go bad sitting so we switch the spare out with a new one and put the spare on during the annual service.

When the coach was six years old we changed the fan belt and kept the old one for a spare in emergencies.

We have never used the spare filter or fan belt but you never know. I am not a DIYer and perform none of the maintenance myself, thus it cost us more than those more handy. Just make sure the annual maintenance is performed and what needs done goes through a three year cycle so something new is needed each year. I carry no special tools for the diesel I didn't have with our gasser.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's a rear radiator I'd replace the serpentine belt while the engine is cool and save the old belt as a spare. There is no reason to change the air system filters yearly but you do need to change the air dryer since you have no idea how long it's been on there. The air filter minder should give you a good indication of the condition of the air filter but here again you have no idea of how long it's been on the engine. I've bought them on eBay for less than $100 delivered.

I probably carry more spares and tools than most but I plan on keeping the motorhome for another 10+ years and do all of my own work. My most often used tool is a IR temp gun. I just went outside with it and pointed it up and got a temperature of 4° which would be about 25,000 feet.

Besides spare fluids and filters I carry a spare alternator and a spare electric fuel pump for the generator. You put the fuel filters for an ISL on dry and then turn the key on several times for 30 seconds to prime the fuel system. I change mine when the engine will not produce 100% power on Long Hill's and I've been known to do it on the side of the road. Other than the alternator I do not carry any spare parts for the ISL or the Allison tranny.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Beyond having filters and now how to change them and basic tools...

Get on-line and find out about what "known" problems your engine might have. (Most anything mechanical has common problems now and then) You'll have a better understanding of what to watch for or maybe some simple upgrades that can save you some big $$ in future.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Collect a FACTORY chassis service manual which covers the engine and drive train except for the transmission. Some of the GENUINE FACTORY service manuals are available on CD.

Collect a FACTORY Allison transmission service manual. Again try to get it on CD

REAL manuals not the pretend wanna be's, have flow charts for diagnostics and diagrams plus photos.

I am no hypocrite. I have FACTORY service manuals for the CROWN, the Cummins 855, Fuller with road-ranger aux. transmission, the SQHD axles, and finally the MoPar manual for the toad.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a primary and secondary fuel filter, a serpentine belt, spare hydraulic oil, diesel motor oil, transynd trans oil, fuses, etc.. I also replace the air fiter, air system water desicant filter yearly. The generator also has it's needs which are similar. Most of this stuff is avalable on Amazon at pretty good prices.

Welcome to the big rig world! Bring a fat wallet and you'll be ok.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel filter is probably number one on the list. Number two is air filter. The rest is probably a waste.