cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My first DIY oil change on an engine this size.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to start to do my own oil changes.

Cummins 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325

Called Fumoto drain valves in California, they do not sell to the public, they refereed me to Gomco in Buffalo, NY, they do not sell to the public, they refered me to DeCarolis truck parts here in Rochester.

They have the one without the nipple, and can get the one with the nipple for attaching a hose. $42.00

Went looking for the FleetGuard oil filter, Amazon lists it for $248.79, no I did not type that wrong. Amazon.com: FLEETGUARD LUBE FILTER LF9009 (6 PCS/BOX) (Xref: BALDWIN BD7309; DONALDSON SO10011; NAPA 7500; WIX 51748XD): Automotive

Searched again and found one for $39.99 with free shipping Amazon.com: Fleetguard Oil Filter LF9009, for Cummins 3401544, Fleetgaurd TECXLF7000, Fleetguard XLF7000, John Deere AT193242 and Sisu 1216400561: Automotive I ordered this one and will look for cheaper one for the next oil change (want to change the oil before my trip to the New England Hot Rod Reunion (going racing again)

Frugal Mechanic has vendors for $26.99 - $59.77 from 10 Sellers

Tractor Supply has Valvoline Cummins Premium Blue Diesel Engine Oil, 1 gal. for $14.99 Heading out there now to pick up the oil.

Any and all suggestion for handing this quantity of hot oil

Cummins wants the oil change when at operating temperature.

How about an oil filter wrench to fit this filter?
21 REPLIES 21

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed my Fleetguard LF16035 using the socket ... looks smooth but there's enough in the dimples to catch the socket

but now that I see pics of yours - yep! Strap wrench only for that one.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
I change my oil in my driveway that has a pretty good slope. With ramps, I have enough room under the Ram to sit upright. Almost as good as a lift! ๐Ÿ™‚

I second the oil filter socket over the strap wrench. I have both - favor the socket. Cheap at Harbor Fright.

I puncture the filter on my airplane when changing but it's a horizontal mount, not vertical. I pull my 6BT Cummins filter off the Ram without draining, but since I'm sitting alongside it, it's easy to do without spilling. Just for insurance, I usually encase it in a plastic bag before spinning it off.

The bottom of the fleetgaurd filter is smooth, no place to put the filter socket

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I change my oil in my driveway that has a pretty good slope. With ramps, I have enough room under the Ram to sit upright. Almost as good as a lift! ๐Ÿ™‚

I second the oil filter socket over the strap wrench. I have both - favor the socket. Cheap at Harbor Fright.

I puncture the filter on my airplane when changing but it's a horizontal mount, not vertical. I pull my 6BT Cummins filter off the Ram without draining, but since I'm sitting alongside it, it's easy to do without spilling. Just for insurance, I usually encase it in a plastic bag before spinning it off.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I received these ramp plans from a friend.

Although they were not needed to do the oil change, and they are sizable (storage) I think I will build a set.

This was his commentary.

"I made (4) of the ramps several years ago and they continue to work as planned. I use them to raise the front for gen and axle service and raise the rear for rear end service. The 4x4 block on the end keeps you from driving off the ramps. Counting the steps going up the ramps is also a good indicator of where you are. I'm now able to use the ramps without an extra set of eyes outside watching my position. "

I asked his permission to post the plans, he wanted me to added.

"a friend provided these plans. He accepts no liability for use or construction. In other words construct and use at your own risk."

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
Go to Lowes, home Depot, or a farm store and get a galvanized 9 gallon metal wash tub and braze a 1/2" or 3/4" quarter turn ball valve in the bottom of the tub. This works much better than the run of the mill oil drain pan plus the drain valve allows the filling of quart or gallon containers for disposal. I would lose the Fumoto Valve.

Good idea, but just something else to store.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Lowes, home Depot, or a farm store and get a galvanized 9 gallon metal wash tub and braze a 1/2" or 3/4" quarter turn ball valve in the bottom of the tub. This works much better than the run of the mill oil drain pan plus the drain valve allows the filling of quart or gallon containers for disposal. I would lose the Fumoto Valve.
jwmII

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I was trying to figure how many oil changes I've done and on which sizes of engines. It's good getting old because it all seems like a blur now and the aggravation has melted away with memory cells. Let's just say it's better than 5,000.

What I would typically do with a diesel engine of that size is position an adequately sized drain pan, pull the drain plug and fish it out with a stick magnet. This allows me to inspect the drain oil (at least sediment in the drain pan) and clean the plug (better drain plugs have a magnet). If I had to install a valve every time and muck about with hoses, I'd devise a simpler method (but that's me). I don't think there's any big issues with just using a valve like that and developing a large amount of sludge or sediment on the crankcase bottom. You could check every 50K miles or so and inspect for build up. Today's engine oils are engineered to suspend solids and nearly all will be borne away with draining.

I'd suggest to buy a filter socket in the size of the oil filter you're using. It makes life easier than a strap wrench. Filling the filter to maximum isn't required, either. It's easier to install the filter with half a filter full than filled to the top. Remember to oil the seal, of course.

If the newer Cummins are anything like their older siblings, you have a fine engine there. Good to see you are treating it right.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
There's no way I'd want that little Fumoto valve and it's inhibited flow rate sitting on the bottom of my oilpan when doing an oil change. I want the big hole and the high volume flow rate to take and carry all the heavy stuff downstream and out of the oil pan with the oil as it drains, instead of the possibility of it settling. Not on an expensive motor like that. Leave it as the engineers designed it, pull the plug and let it all flow out like a raging river.

Why aren't you buying your motor oil by the 5 gallon pail?

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
So I have decided to take the oil change maintenance out of the hands of RV service โ€œprofessionalsโ€. I have done lots of oil changes before but this is the first one on a vehicle this size.

First step was to gather information. So I posted a thread on doing my first oil change and received lots of good advice. The three suggestions that really stood out were 1) use a 6 point socket on the drain plug 2) get a Fumoto drain shut off valve so you can change containers 3) drain the filter before removing it (loosen it first) 4) use a strap oil filter wrench (I had forgotten I had on)

Next step was to read the manual

This is the page in the Gillig manual on changing the oil. Important points are Change every 8,000 miles, Operate engine until coolant temperature reaches 140 degrees, waste oil containers must hold 27 quarts,

This is the page in the Gillig manual on changing the oil filter, the important points are Apply a light film of oil on the gasket surface, fill the filter with engine oil

A note on engine oil, the Gillig manual states to use Cummins Premium Blue (15W-40) Turns out Cummins endorses Valvoline Premium Blue. Valvoline Premium Blue Cummins endorsement

Time to gather supplies and get started. I had to think carefully about this as I could not do the oil change in my driveway because of the slope of the driveway.

This was the most intimidating part of this project. There is six gallons of oil behind this plug. Turns out there is actually two drain plugs in the side of the pan. I could take the first one out, and drain of some oil, than swap drain pans and remove the second. I could control the amount of oil going into drain containers this way.

I elected to go with the Fumoto drain valve instead. This would allow me to control the draining of Hot engine oil (remember Gillig specified the engine should be at 140 degrees). The Fumoto valve for my Cummins 6CTA is a F104 and if you want the nipple to put the hose on it is a F104N thread size 18MM-1.5

So with a drain pan under the engine with a six point socket that fit the Cummins drain plug, I carefully unscrewed the drain plug until I could unscrew the plug with my fingers. Holding the plug in the hole when it was fully unscrewed I pulled it out and placed the Fumoto valve over the hole and screwed it in. The oil you see is what escaped, none on the ground and not much on my hand.

The Fumoto valve is installed. I purchase the one with the nipple. on it so a hose can be attached so it can drain directly into a five gallon used paint thinner container I had.

This allowed me to attach a hose so it can drain directly into a five gallon used paint thinner container I had.The drain pan in the picture was just used to catch any drips while change between containers

With the valve installed and no longer any chance of getting hot oil on my hands, it was time to get the engine above the Gillig required 140 degrees.

Draining the oil out of the crankcase was anticlimactic and went over with no oil on the ground, or for that matter on my hands

One of the suggestions I received was that the Fumoto valve might not allow the oil to drain quickly enough to pull any sediment across the bottom of the crankcase pan and out the drain hole. I have to agree with this comment. So when I had drained enough oil out that I was confident that what remained would fit in the drain pan I pulled the Fumoto valve and allowed the oil to drain out the drain plug hole unrestricted.I have decided to reinstall the original drain plug and follow the same procedure of installing the Fumoto valve again at the next oil change.

Removal of the oil filter was a little more difficult, but not hard. What you see here is the oil filter strap wrench wrapped around the oil filter, an extension on the oil filter wrench and a half inch drive ratchet wrench. Cummins did the last change and the filter was really on tight.

This is what the strap wrench looks like

This is the setup I should have used. The only difference is the second 10 inch extension. This would have allowed the ratchet wrench to turn under the crankcase pane instead of being up between the engine block and frame rail. Learned this for next time.

It was also suggested that a hole should be punched in the bottom of the oil filter to drain it before removing it. I originally had intended to drill the hole, but after seeing the heftiness of the oil filter mount I had no qualms about punching the hole. Here are my tools to do that, a sharp punch, a Phillis screw driver to enlarge the hole and a hammer to drive the punch and screw driver through the oil filter.

Here is the Phillis screw driver sticking out of the bottom of the oil filter

The oil draining out of the filter (by the way the size of the filter does not translate through these pictures. To give you an idea of its size, it holds a gallon of oil).

This is the side of the Fleetgaurd filter Cummins part) It repeats what the manual says.

You have to fill both the inside and outside (holes around the outer edge) to fill the filter. Also do not install until all the air bubbles stop raising in the filter.

Now an interesting factoid. The instructions in the Gillig Manual for doing the oil change says โ€œ6. After replacing the engine oil filter, use the engine oil fill tube (figure 1-21) to add 25.2 US quarts of oil. THIS IS INCORRECT. In the specifications section the manual states โ€œ 6CTA (engine only) 6CTA 300HP 25.2 quarts including pan and oil.I filled the filter, and put 6 gallons in the pan, ran the engine to check for leaks, let it sit while I hooked up the dragster trailer to the truck and put everything away and then went back and checked the oil level. It is just above the full mark, just reaches the top of the arrow pointing to the full mark.I know that this engine pucks oil out the puck tube if it is over full, so I will have to come back tomorrow and drain a little bit of oil out of the pan.

If I had left the drain valve installed this would be easy. I will just loosen the drain plug and hold it (getting my hand all lubricated with clean oil) until I have drained off a quart.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:

No off roading for this motor home, the oil pan is actually highr than the lower body line.

Yeah, I guess I was just muttering about my own concerns in my vehicle. Altho I have friends that have them installed on trucks similar to mine with no issues.

I presumed since you said Motorhome, that maybe hitting the gravel as you turn wide on the asphalt might be the extent of your off-roading. Really just my own phobia ๐Ÿ™‚

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
GOOGLE

FILTER WAREHOUSE (your city)

All I got was lots of furnace filters http://filterwarehouse.com/

gkainz wrote:
probably obvious, but ensure you have a large enough drain bucket to hold the entire capacity.

I'm pretty insistent on a hot oil drain - my belief that the contaminants held in suspension in hot oil drop out pretty quickly and don't get flushed out of the oil pan once they do. One of my reluctances to using a fumoto valve as well - I don't think they drain fast enough. The other is I have this nagging mental picture of snagging that valve while off-roading and dumping my engine oil out in the boonies somewhere.
Edit - I know the actuating level is pretty secure - my concern is tearing the valve completely off the pan.

No off roading for this motor home, the oil pan is actually highr than the lower body line.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
probably obvious, but ensure you have a large enough drain bucket to hold the entire capacity.

I'm pretty insistent on a hot oil drain - my belief that the contaminants held in suspension in hot oil drop out pretty quickly and don't get flushed out of the oil pan once they do. One of my reluctances to using a fumoto valve as well - I don't think they drain fast enough. The other is I have this nagging mental picture of snagging that valve while off-roading and dumping my engine oil out in the boonies somewhere.
Edit - I know the actuating level is pretty secure - my concern is tearing the valve completely off the pan.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
GOOGLE

FILTER WAREHOUSE (your city)

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
charlie good time wrote:
Napa here in Ohio has a really good sale on filters in September every year .Might check them out.

I'm in a hurry for this oil change, will plan ahead for the next one looking for the best prices, thank for this lead.