cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

use a surge protecter with a genny

camping24
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, has anyone used a surge protecter on a genny? I use one when I'm plugged into a campsite. we purchased a gennny (not Honda or any very expensive type) and want to make sure all will "flow" continuous. We have one that will start what we need so no question there, just about having the surge plugged into genny then the power cord.

thanks
14 REPLIES 14

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a line voltage conditioner, surge combo from APC for all sensitive electronics. works great.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A surge protector on a cheap generator is pointless. Yes, it might clamp, but sags can fry stuff just as badly as surges can, and if the generator is so unreliable that one has to worry about that dirty power, then unless it is a finance issue (this economy is still in the dumps), might as well get a low end 4000 watt Champion that produces reasonably clean power.

For shore power, I'd do something different. Given the best of all worlds, I'd have a surge protector, an autoformer, and then an EMS (which cuts off electricity should the voltage go below a certain threshold, keeping things from burning out.)

If the generator does produce dirty power to the point of worry, one can get smooth power from it by buying an online (not standby) UPS. Of course, a good online UPS can be as expensive if not more than two Honda 2000s and a parallel kit.

rbturner
Explorer
Explorer
To the original poster; I have a 7000 watt Onan in the trailer. I also have a Progressive Industries 50 amp, hardwired protector, installed just before the breaker panel so that it is in operation whether we are on shore power or generator. Everything works fine.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a basic portable surge guard 30amp that is supposed to go on the pedestal and you plug into that. It cost a bit, so where we have a shore power cord compartment that locks, I did a mod which puts the surge protector inside the lockable compartment at the bitter end of the shore power cord instead of out there highly visible at the pedestal.

OK, so I plug into my Honda 3000 with the shore power cord and now I am going through the surge protector. No problem. I also plug the shore power cord into an inverter for "whole house" and that goes through the surge protector too, no problem.

As to the value of the surge protector, I won't argue, but I have found at times it was tripped. One time was when I was having "issues" with the AC dist panel (circuit breakers) and on shore power. The surge protector was tripping even before the circuit breaker was. Whatever, I am glad it is there and I think it saved the day when I was having all that trouble with the AC circuit breaker panel.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
camping24 wrote:
Hi, has anyone used a surge protecter on a genny? I use one when I'm plugged into a campsite. we purchased a gennny (not Honda or any very expensive type) and want to make sure all will "flow" continuous. We have one that will start what we need so no question there, just about having the surge plugged into genny then the power cord.

thanks

Someone convinced you that you need a surge protector.
So. yes you need one, no matter where you getting power from.
Me, I never needed one, and never will.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Most portable generators will test out as open ground. Not sure how a surge protector will react to that.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have heard of failure mode where the regulation circuit in a genny going bad and sending too high of voltage out. It would take more than a "surge protector" to help in that instance though.

exeter_acres
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Seems like belt and suspenders.
Park surges are way over hyped-tens of zillions of camp nights are spent every year in this country yet surge damages are beyond minuscule and generator damages-too small to report!
You would be hard put to find anyone that's even had park damages .
Sure there will be folks here jump in and say " but it happened to ME" but this is a Internet forum and folks sometimes spin the facts to make a point or to create drama or just to be posting.
Go camping-quit worrying ๐Ÿ™‚

but it happened to me!!

oh wait....

that was something else...

carry on

๐Ÿ˜‰
Involved in R/C airplanes and travel and camp at many events.
www.extremeflightrc.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sammie25
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5500 Honda and tried to use a surge protector, but it kept shutting off the TV and satellite box. So, we don't use one

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes he was.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Park surges are way over hyped-tens of zillions of camp nights are spent every year in this country yet surge damages are beyond minuscule and generator damages-too small to report!
Sure there will be folks here jump in and say " but it happened to ME" but this is a Internet forum and folks sometimes spin the facts to make a point or to create drama or just to be posting.

Read the OP again.
camping24 is questioning using a surge protector on an inexpensive generator.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin