cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VEC1093DBD out of production??

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for a good battery charger that will double as a re conditioner (with EQ and desulfate capabilities). Was going to buy it from Amazon but it looks like they no longer carry it; looked elsewhere and every place I had bookmarked no longer carries it.

Is it no longer made? Hopefully I didn't wait too long to buy it.
20 REPLIES 20

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
mena661 wrote:
Looks like boat and rv accessories has them.
http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/black--decker-vec1093dbd-12-volt-40-amp-battery-charger.html

Says out of stock.

Woo-Hoo, they just shipped mine TODAY!!

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the 'in stock'! Good news, wish it wasn't right after Christmas but will probably pull the trigger anyway.

thanks!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Gee. my Progressive Dynamics INtella power does that.. After 20 hours of float it goes into a 15 mintue (Or so I'm told) Equalization cycle.. I have seen it do this.

Many good 3-stage converter/chargers have an equalization feature, most of them manually activated.

Do not confuse the anti-stratification periodic "equalize" feature of a float charger or converter with the "real" Equalize on the Vector. Compare the Vector's with the Equalize on your Prosine 2.0 to see the difference.

BTW, I took out the noisy fan on mine and externally mounted the old fan off my busted Paramode converter instead. It had more room for screws on the frame part. Nice and quiet now. I do notice how the fan speeds up when the charger is doing full amps. Must be some clever connection in its brain between charging amps and fan speed besides just the actual temperature.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah but this has MUCH better charging algorithm than all of the converters. Also has temperature compensation. I wish it had a float function because I'd rip out my POS IOTA and permanently mount this in my MH.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee. my Progressive Dynamics INtella power does that.. After 20 hours of float it goes into a 15 mintue (Or so I'm told) Equalization cycle.. I have seen it do this.

Many good 3-stage converter/chargers have an equalization feature, most of them manually activated.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Looks like they have some now.
Excellent!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
mena661 wrote:
http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/black--decker-vec1093dbd-12-volt-40-amp-battery-charger.html

Says out of stock.

Looks like they have some now.
Photo in Profile

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I noticed that my Schumacher SC-12000A Speed Charger (40/15 amp multi-stage fast charge; 2 amp slow charger; 120 amp engine start) for 6 or 12 volt batteries (programmed for all types) also was dropped from the market this year. Their current batch of multi-stage chargers have a lower maximum rated amps for fast charging, and of course a lower price.

It was their heavy-duty competition for the BD (Vector) charger. I purchased mine in 2006 when the list price $230. I did get it on sale.

I suppose both manufacturers dropped them because of low sales (limited market) and the rather high price for them. For automotive use and charging single batteries they are serious "over-kill". The programming used will cut back on the highest charging rates to the point that a much cheaper charger doing 15 amps would get the job (full charge) in a similar time.

I suppose those of us using them the way they work best for large enough battery-banks are a very small percentage of the buying market.

There is also the possibility that the higher voltage used to finish the charging cycle has the legal department worried since newer vehicles have sensitive electronics which the uninformed could possibly damage by not isolating the battery(s) being charged with these units. That would just be a guess on my part.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably find the right sized fan to fit in the original location at mouser.com.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Such a shame that they put in the loudest POS fan they can find in bulk.
Some tiny little fan roaring at 6500 rpm to move 6CFM.

Not a B&D, but I had no issue putting a larger, quieter more efficient fan on My Schumacher

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fan could be replaced with a computer fan, it is that sort, but you can't mount it inside-- it goes in a slot. The fan frame housing would have to be just the right size to go in the slot and hold there. You would end up mounting the new fan externally, so might as well just mount the original fan externally.
Photo in Profile

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My fan has always been noisy too. It quieter after a few minutes of running though.
I've always wondered if it was something special or if I could just replace it with a common computer fan.
Anybody know?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
mena661 wrote:

Says out of stock.
Indeed it is! Guess I need to read next time. I DID find one on Ebay for $150. Says 4 available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Decker-VEC1093DBD-Battery-Charger-NIB-/151179762883?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Ho...

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJ, I did not find what exactly was making the noise against what to know just how to cure it. There is not much you can see or get at with it installed in the slot. Best thing would be just install it externally against the vent hole instead of inside it. The red and black wires will reach through the vent easily.
Photo in Profile