cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Venting for Battery adequate?

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to replace my 12volt with 4 6volt batteries. Currently my 1 battery is inside a plastic vented box which is inside of the front storage on my 5th wheel. (2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS) The inner compartment where the battery is is enclosed on all sides except the front, so when my large storage compartment door is shut it is basically isolated (but not air tight) from everything else in that storage area. Then on the left and right hand sides of the storage compartment there is about a 3 inch space at the top of the wall, which leads to my side storage compartments. Then, on each side door there is a circle vent to the outside.

To make a long story shorter, will this be adequate for venting my new 4 6 volt batteries if I keep each one of them in a vented box, without having to actually run a tube vent all the way to the side doors?

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I can try and get some pictures tonight.
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
12 REPLIES 12

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
So just cut a hole near the top and apply a vent grill.
My front compartment is so unsealed I skipped the whole vent tube thing 12 years ago.

Me too. Here is one of my set-ups with the 5er a while back. Cable hatch I put in the front cargo door was also for venting if the door was closed. Never had any issue with battery fumes.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
This would be an ideal application for AGM batteries.

tim1970 wrote:
I am seriously considering this to avoid all of the headaches about proper venting. I should be perfectly fine doing this. Which AGM battery do you recommend? Also, how much more cost am I looking at? 2X, 3X, or even more?

Mine is a DEKA G31 12 volt AGM but many manufacturers offer AGM deep cycle batteries, 6 volt or 12 volt. I'm in Canada where pricing is no doubt different than where you are but for AGM I suspect you'd be looking at 2X the cost of flooded.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
This would be an ideal application for AGM batteries. For sure more costly but they do eliminate the venting issue and need no servicing at all, other than proper recharging of course. Exactly why when I replaced my aging tongue mounted flooded battery I instead mounted an AGM in the trailer's front pass through cargo compartment where I could connect to the inverter with short, heavy gauge 18" cables for minimal voltage drop, even under heavy load. :B

I am seriously considering this to avoid all of the headaches about proper venting. I should be perfectly fine doing this. Which AGM battery do you recommend? Also, how much more cost am I looking at? 2X, 3X, or even more?
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pictures to help explain my situation better. This might not be vented perfectly, but am I in danger with running my 1 battery the way it is now? (Now that I think about it, the battery I have is maintenance free, so maybe it is an AGM battery?)

This is exactly how it came from the dealer...

Here is my front storage compartment. You can see the smaller battery compartment inside of it.
IMG_1941 by Tim Richardson, on Flickr

This is the left side of the big storage compartment. You can see the space at the top leading to the side storage. If you look real close, you can actually see the top of the vent on the outside door.
IMG_1942 by Tim Richardson, on Flickr

This is below my battery compartment. there are 2 of these holes leading to the outside.
IMG_1944 by Tim Richardson, on Flickr

This is the door to one of my side compartments. Both side compartment doors have this vent.
IMG_1945 by Tim Richardson, on Flickr
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem I see is your 5th wheel bedroom is directly above your installed battery compartment - At least that is the way mine is... Probably not the best of circumstances haha...

Even LOWES has the vent tubes with hose assemblies... I'd try to rig up some positive venting...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
This would be an ideal application for AGM batteries. For sure more costly but they do eliminate the venting issue and need no servicing at all, other than proper recharging of course. Exactly why when I replaced my aging tongue mounted flooded battery I instead mounted an AGM in the trailer's front pass through cargo compartment where I could connect to the inverter with short, heavy gauge 18" cables for minimal voltage drop, even under heavy load. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my son's 5er we had a vent in the bottom of the box through the floor and a hose out the top of the box to the outside. We bought a new box but used the same ventilation.

OK Not sure how your compartments are arranged but it doesn't sound like the battery has adequate ventilation to the outside.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So just cut a hole near the top and apply a vent grill.
My front compartment is so unsealed I skipped the whole vent tube thing 12 years ago.

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Inadequate ventilation as you describe. Since you already have a vented battery box use the same ventilation for a new battery box for the new batteries.

This is what I am wanting to do. Use the same ventilation that is being used now. However, my current ventilated box does not have a hose coming from it. It just ventilates into the smaller compartment. (Which does have big holes cut in the floor to the outside world, but I thought hydrogen had to be vented upwards)
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inadequate ventilation as you describe. Since you already have a vented battery box use the same ventilation for a new battery box for the new batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I can visualize it and IMHO it lacks a lot as far as adequate ventilation is concerned.

Here is a not so improbable scenario...

Battery or cell ages and goes bad. Battery emits a lot of corrosive fumes -- anything in that compartment will get saturated including wood and cloth. Metal will corrode.

Hydrogen gas goes straight up then vigorously wanders around on the ceiling looking for a way out. If it doesn't find a way then overhead a pocket of hydrogen is formed. H2S and H2SO4 are heavier. Battery boxes with inch and a half single vent exiting the box at the top will stop explosion and corrosion hazards.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tim1970 wrote:
I am about to replace my 12volt with 4 6volt batteries.

Wow. That's quite an upgrade. Wonder if your converter/charger will handle that much capacity ?

IF.....you get AGM type sealed batteries you won't have to worry about venting at all. Yes, that will be expensive but they should last longer AND you never have to check the water level.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"