cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to test AC before heading south - no 30a service.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to TN and then on to FL in July. This will be our first trip of the year and, given the temps we will be facing, I'd like to test the AC before we leave - just to make sure it is in working order. We have no 30a plug at home. Other than pulling into a campground somewhere, is there any option anyone can suggest to do a quick test on the unit?
17 REPLIES 17

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all - I'll check it out. I appreciate the input.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We do this often on a 20amp service from family and friends garages. Works out fine. It will trip if we put the hot water on electric or try the microwave or coffee pot. We've learned to manage just fine. We don't turn off the other breakers with 20amp service, but we do when using our 2400 generator. The most surprising draw in our camper is the convertor that charges the battery.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
(Just joking, son) Or you could have a qualified electrician install a 30a 120V RV receptacle for you.... but do you trust any "qualified" electricians??? (/joke)

To reiterate: 15A or 20A will do ya, yea, that's the ticket!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Any 15 or 20 amp circuit should operate it providing the A/C is the only thing on the circuit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Test the generator, rk? Oh!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
  • Outlet in your garage has 20-amp service. Looks like 15-amp but has a cross-cut in the neutral slot
  • Use a 12 gauge extension cord
  • Flip breakers inside rig to turn off everything but the A/C
  • The A/C should start and run. As long an nothing else is connected the 20 amp breaker will carry the load.

X2

This is what we do.

Ac runs fine and our resindential fridge runs normal also.

Batteries charge, fridge gets cold and ac cools down the rig.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I have connected several brands of 15K roof airs to a 20 amp receptacle.

Not only do they start fine, they RE-start fine against high head pressure. This is for testing not a permanent installation.

THIMK!

30 amp to 20 amp

Rigs connect to 30 amp service AND operate their hot water heater, refrigerator, and converter AND the 15K roof air...

What he said.

I picked up a Kill-A-Watt plug in meter at Harbor Freight on sale a while back. I took the time and plugged it in to my TT AC line using a 30 to 15 amp adapter. The house circuit it plugs into is 20 amp (former submariner, I have all my house circuit breakers and what they supply mapped out ;). My AC is a 13,500 BTU and measured a constant 12 amps on high. Actually 1446 watts.

I did the same till my killawatt burned up.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn off all circuit breakers in RV save MAIN and A/C. use a 20 amp circuit and a 12ga extension cord. you can get those at Home Depot, Lowes or Sears/K-mart, The latter has one with a push button on the outlet. I like it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Not only do they start fine, they RE-start fine against high head pressure. This is for testing not a permanent installation.

THIMK!

30 amp to 20 amp

Rigs connect to 30 amp service AND operate their hot water heater, refrigerator, and converter AND the 15K roof air...

What he said.

I picked up a Kill-A-Watt plug in meter at Harbor Freight on sale a while back. I took the time and plugged it in to my TT AC line using a 30 to 15 amp adapter. The house circuit it plugs into is 20 amp (former submariner, I have all my house circuit breakers and what they supply mapped out ;). My AC is a 13,500 BTU and measured a constant 12 amps on high. Actually 1446 watts.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Suburban 2500 with 8.1L engine, 4.1 gears, upgraded hitch and MaxBrake controller towing a 2013 Rockwood 8312ss.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
We are headed to TN and then on to FL in July. This will be our first trip of the year and, given the temps we will be facing, I'd like to test the AC before we leave - just to make sure it is in working order. We have no 30a plug at home. Other than pulling into a campground somewhere, is there any option anyone can suggest to do a quick test on the unit?

how about running your generator?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a 20 amp circuit is how I test the AC appliances...one by one. Agree with the above comment regarding 12 gauge extension cord, and keep that cord short as you can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
We are headed to TN and then on to FL in July.

You will be coming to Florida in July....hurricane season....without a generator ??? Probably NOT a good plan.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

THIMK!

30 amp to 20 amp