cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Filter Issues

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so we were camping this weekend in our Rockwood Roo when suddenly we heard a loud bang and water rushing in the middle of the night. Immediately turned off the water pump opened up the back of the camper where the pump and filter are located to find that the filter had disconnected itself and water was everywhere!

Cleaned it up, reconnected the filter tightly and thought we had it figured out. Well it happened again several times during the weekend with the water pump on and with the water pump off. It literally twisted itself off when the water was running or the pump was on. CRAZY stuff felt like the camper was haunted!

Any ideas, the filter isn't cracked, fits properly and we have never had this happen before! Appreciate any input you can offer, we ended up not being able to use our water and this is just the beginning of our camping season.

She is a 2015 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS Thanks, Sue
7 REPLIES 7

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, we were using the water out of our tank (stayed at a non water site) so it wasn't the water pressure coming from the hookup itself. It screws on pretty big in size made out of plastic and was on quite tight with plastic ridges around the housing that holds the filter itself if that makes sense to you in layman terms lol The filter itself was just put on this season so only on for 10 days of camping so far don't think that's the problem.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a pressure regulator on the waterline? If not, could very high water pressure be causing this?

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen on our Coachman. Seems that some filter housings allow the shell to back out. Mine did this while visiting an adjoining site so all my water drained out of the fresh tank and onto the ground from my wet bay. Glad it wasn't internal or I would have had 50 gallons go everywhere. I have since removed the FR1 filter and housing as I believe its flawed.

My 0.02
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using the wrench to tighten it?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
does it feel it's clicking while tightening ?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen two months ago, filter would unscrew itself. I tried to use Gorilla tape to hold it on and still came off. After playing with it for a couple of hours I went to Home Depot and purchased a 1/2 coupler, removed the water filter entirely and connected the lines together. Problem solved. I now use an in line filter that's half the price of the FR filter.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
try changing the filter. sounds like it is clogged causing a backup.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle