cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater problem

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
After noticing our hot water was no longer really hot, we thought the electric element might be bad. Replaced it today. While the water did heat up, it is not real hot even now. Switched over to gas, and the water heater lit. Still the water does not seem very hot. However, when taking a shower, when almost finished the water seemed to get hotter. This is a Suburban hot water heater and does have two thermostats. I can hardly believe both thermostats have gone bad at the same time. Also I cannot explain why the water seems to get hotter after running it for some time. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. We did clean the hot water heater and replaced the anode rod too.
7 REPLIES 7

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
What I should have done was remove the GFCI outlet and replace it with a non-GFCI single 15 amp outlet. That way, there would be no risk of plugging anything else in there.

This is perfectly acceptable with the NEC. Also, a duplex receptacle without GFCI is acceptable if the appliance blocks it so that no other device may be plugged in.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I should have done was remove the GFCI outlet and replace it with a non-GFCI single 15 amp outlet. That way, there would be no risk of plugging anything else in there.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
You are quite welcome.

As far as replacing a perfectly good electric element, I once replaced a full size upright deep freeze because the GFCI outlet it was plugged into went bad. Now THAT was an expensive lesson. The new deep freeze had the exact same failures as the old one, so I finally checked the outlet.

Never plug a freezer into a GFI protected outlet.Too much risk as you described. Code be damned.

WDP

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are quite welcome.

As far as replacing a perfectly good electric element, I once replaced a full size upright deep freeze because the GFCI outlet it was plugged into went bad. Now THAT was an expensive lesson. The new deep freeze had the exact same failures as the old one, so I finally checked the outlet.
Bobbo and Lin

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Bobbo. That was exactly the problem. Probably never even needed a new electric element!!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you used the outside shower? You may have left the outside shower on but turned off the handheld unit. That allows cold and hot water to mix and flow back into the system. That can cause the symptoms you are describing.
Bobbo and Lin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suburban uses 2 sets of t-stats
Left side is 120V AC set for electric element High temp (top set for 180*F) and normal (bottom set for 130*F)
Right side is 12V DC set for propane High temp/normal same as electric set.

Bad/dirty connections on terminals on t-stat(s)

As for the water getting hotter......how long was propane heating prior to taking shower and was it still heating when you finished shower?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31