cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump is on NO water pressure, Help!

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
Tuesday we just purchased our 3rd 5th wheel in 4 years. The "new" one is a 2004 Forest River Wildcat 29BHBP. Purchased from a large repulable dealer who says they checked everything to be in working order before we bought it. Actually believable because the tech spent close to an hour with us upon pick up to show us how everything worked.
Last night we driveway camped and hooked up to city water. Everything worked fine. Tonight actual camping away from home filled the fresh water, tank reads 3/4 full. The water pump is running and running not shutting off however there is no water pressure, no water coming out of the taps other than the residual from last night with city water. This RV does have a water filtration system, everything we can see seems to be fine. There is a fitting with a lever which appears to be between the fresh water and the pump. Tried it both ways still no water. No water leaking around the trailer etc. Pump got hot so shut it down since no water is appearing. Logic would say water isn't getting to the pump or it is sucking air from somewhere. The belly of the trailer is enclosed so we can't actually see the tanks but we can easily access the pump. Where do we start? The dealer is over 2 1/2 hours away so we really need to figure this "simple" thing out on our own.
Any ideas?
37 REPLIES 37

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, if you assume that your water system is the same as the posted diagram, diagnosing the problem should be a piece of cake. Disconnect the line on the inlet side of the pump and suck on it to find out if you get water or air.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
If the pump's impeller is shattered, the pump would run continuously, and not move any water.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Basic RV water system....

Garden hose screws onto 'city water' connection and feeds cold water plumbing system. From that cold water line is inlet to water heater. Hot water outlet feeds hot water plumbing system.
Water pump sucks water from fresh water tank and pump discharge ties into same cold water plumbing system that 'city water' feeds (all the same system.....with checks valves in city water connection and pump internals to stop backflows when using either 'water source')

Then 'water works/utility' panels started being used. Some where simple with minimal switches/valves and some were multi switches/valves.

Turn this/turn that......this one open/this one closed/this one this way/this one that way...........fill/pump/city/winterize.

OP has basic system. Gravity fill for fresh water tank. Garden hose to city water and pump sucks from fresh water tank. Normal bypass on backside of water heater.

OK on city water but can not get water to flow using pump.

Sooooo
Either there is a air leak on pump suction side or winterizing kit on suction side of pump is not closed (sucking air in)

OP
Can you post picture or better describe the 'brass fitting' on suction line????? That has to be the issue/part of problem why pump will not prime
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Now, I'm curious. I'm trying to think of how the water circuitry is designed, such that you can access the same distribution system from city water and also with the RV's water supply,....without a selection valve. There has to be at least a shutoff valve where you connect the city hose.

I don't know for sure but logically thinking I think they work without a shutoff valve because the city water connection is on the other side of the pump. I assume the internal water pump valves are one way only so when the city water is connected the pressure will shut those preventing water from going through the water pump and backfilling the fresh tank. However, if this is the case I don't know what prevents pumped water from exiting the city water connection when city water is not in use. Perhaps there is a one way valve on that line. Our other RV has all the lines exposed and I don't see a valve on that one either. Now I'm curious on that too!

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now, I'm curious. I'm trying to think of how the water circuitry is designed, such that you can access the same distribution system from city water and also with the RV's water supply,....without a selection valve. There has to be at least a shutoff valve where you connect the city hose.
Without the manual, I suppose I would make sure the pump itself was in good working order, even if I had to remove it and stick the pickup hose in water and turn on the pump.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
No water from hot or cold sides? Like none at all or a slow trickle? One thought I had was that your hot water tank was filling up?

Did you fill your fresh tank all the way?

I've never seen a manual valve to switch between city water and tank...

Locate your water pump.

On the inlet side (where it draws from your tank) look for a quarter turn valve...that would be where a winterizing hose would be attached. Turn it 90 degrees so it draws from tank (handle would line up with tank hose)
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure the glass filter bowl on top of the pump is screwed on tightly. Mine came loose and the pump ran without putting out any water. A twist of the wrist -- all fixed! I sure hope this works for you and that it is nothing complicated.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Quote:
Actually believable because the tech spent close to an hour with us upon pick up to show us how everything worked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Everything ?? Care to rephrase that ???
Or weren't you paying attention.
I'd think it would be perdy simple.

Neither of our other 5th wheels had a valve to switch between the two types of water. Just a button on the pannel to turn on the pump. We actually spent a fair amount of time in the water pump area with the tech. Partially because we were interested in the water filtration system and because the water pump is located in the basement where it is much easier to access than our other two 5th wheels where it was located in a tiny compartment under the sink. There was no mention of a valve to switch between the two water types.
I would think this would be simple too!!!

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:

It's up to you to read the manual and become familiar with the system in YOUR unit.
It took me a while to learn mine.

I would LOVE to have a manual! This rv is used and came with none! If anyone has a manual for a 2004 Wildcat, or even a generic Forest River 2004 PLEASE send me a message! The only thing I could find online was for a 2013.

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
mogman wrote:
Winterizing valve still open?

We looked for a winterizing valve, there isn't a one ended hose that we can find. There is a brass fitting between what appears to be the pex coming from the tank and the pump tried it both directions but it didn't do anything. I can't figure out what that valve would even be for. The tech did show us the water tank winterizing pass valve. It's behind a screwed on pannel now. However even if this happened to be in the wrong position for summer then we should still have water pressure in the rest of the rv.

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
should have a vavle where your water hose hooks up that switches from city water to tank fill...make sure its set on city water

I am assuming for this type of system the city water attaches in only one spot on the rv and you can either choose to use city water or fill your tank. Is this correct? Ours doesn't have this set up. The city connection is about 15' from the tank fill.

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
Winterizing valve still open?
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
should have a vavle where your water hose hooks up that switches from city water to tank fill...make sure its set on city water

This rv has the fresh tank fill in the back, city water hose attachment in the front. There is no obvious switch to change between the two. In our RV purchase search we did see newer models with that type of set up. (seems like a great idea!) But this is a 2004 and it doesn't appear they thought of that yet.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
One in every crowd.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Actually believable because the tech spent close to an hour with us upon pick up to show us how everything worked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Everything ?? Care to rephrase that ???
Or weren't you paying attention.
I'd think it would be perdy simple.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.