cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What runs on battery?

zorr59
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I've read several of the post throughout this forum. I thought I read somewhere those who boondock have TV. I don't. The only thing that runs when I boondock are the lights, radio, bed lifts and exhaust fans. I have (1) 12v battery. Does this sound right?

2012 Dutchman rubicon M2600 TH
2011 GMC Sierra 2500hd duramax
2012 Dutchman Rubicon 2600 TH. 27ft
2009 Harley Ultra Classic
23 REPLIES 23

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep. This Ebay guy ships via slow boat from China. Takes 3 weeks. Sometimes it arrives via air mail, if package is small, and then it takes a week.
And - yep, Amazon sells same China-boards. For me, being in Canada, dealing with Amazon for such small items is inconvenient. Besides, on Amazon you have to spend minimum $35 per order, to get a free shipping.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
Thanks for the link, Almot.

The only problem I see with that is they ship from China.

If you look around a bit....also Amazon....you can find them for about the same price that ship from the US. MUCH easier to make a return or warranty claim should that be necessary.

I got about 15 of the bayonet style for about $2.50 each.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, Almot.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:
Maybe my search skills are deficient, but searching campingworld the lowest price I found was $10, not 2-2.50. Got a link?

As much as I'm trying not to help the economy of already powerful and dangerous dictatorship regime, I think that Campingworld is a sort of Walmart of camping, selling same no-name Chinese LEDs as Ebay.

With wedge socket: 24*5050 SMD
They come with other sockets as well. And in other brightness or color. This one is equivalent to 18W automotive bulb in both brightness and color. I can hardly tell the difference, other than it's less "blinding" than automotive when you look at it, because the light source is more evenly distributed. You might be able to find cheaper, but this one is where many members bought and I don't regret.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
RoyB wrote:
replace all of the AUTOMOTIVE type lamp bulbs with very low wattage LED units. The automotive light bulb will draw around 1AMP of DC CURRENT

More like 1.5 Amps each bulb. LED bulb would draw 0.3A each. At $2-2.50 each it's a no brainer.

Maybe my search skills are deficient, but searching campingworld the lowest price I found was $10, not 2-2.50. Got a link?

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
What runs on battery ONLY:
Lights, Fans, Water pump, Furnace, TV (OTA) antenna, Optionally The TV
Motors that move things like Slides or Jacks

Most Furnaces run on 12v and propane.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What runs on battery ONLY:
Lights, Fans, Water pump, Furnace, TV (OTA) antenna, Optionally The TV
Motors that move things like Slides or Jacks.

What runs on Gas or 120vac but USES battery power for command and control?
Water heater, Fridge (see note) Air Conditioners

Some fridges are 3-Way, and can run on 12 volt. I DO NOT recommend doing it.

In my coach I have a freezer that is 12 volt (3 amps running) but this is not a standard RV product.. Norcold and Dometic both make ones like it, and at least one model of RV fridge that's all electric,, Runs on 12 or 120 volt.. I do like those. Again 3-4 amps if running on DC. This is in the range of a 2-lamp light fixture.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
replace all of the AUTOMOTIVE type lamp bulbs with very low wattage LED units. The automotive light bulb will draw around 1AMP of DC CURRENT

More like 1.5 Amps each bulb. LED bulb would draw 0.3A each. At $2-2.50 each it's a no brainer.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Those who boondock and have TV have an inverter that "inverts" 12v power from the battery back to 120v for the TV.

Some actually have a TV that runs directly from 12 V. They are more common than you might think.

Apparently, not the OP. Otherwise he would not have been asking about it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your needs are modest add 400 watts of solar and a decent charge controller. That will make you energy independent when boondocking.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, some TV's use a "brick" power supply that has a 12VDC output to the TV. Since most trailers have a 12V power outlet by the TV you can (CAREFULLY) make up a 12V plug to "M"-connector cable to power the TV directly from 12V.

Caveat - if you don't know what your doing, don't attempt this. You may be buying a new TV.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

Those who boondock and have TV have an inverter that "inverts" 12v power from the battery back to 120v for the TV.

Some actually have a TV that runs directly from 12 V. They are more common than you might think.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

zorr59
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Great info. The 12 volt side of life was a great read.

Ken
2011 GMC Sierra 2500hd duramax
2012 Dutchman Rubicon 2600 TH. 27ft
2009 Harley Ultra Classic

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Some smaller TVs use an adapter to convert the 120vac to 12vdc. You can get rid of the adapter and run the TV directly off 12v.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory