cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which wire to positive on battery

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
It has been over a year since we got the camper out and I don't remember which wires go to positive and negative. I've got one battery and one red wire and two white wires. I know color doesn't mean much but I thought that I would mention it. The red wire is thicker than the other two.

I vaguely thought I remembered the red to positive and the other two to negative. But, when I hook it up like this the lights are dim and do not charge when I plugged into 110. Everything works except the lights and furnace. My converter is only a couple years old. Since I wasn't very sure about the wire connections, I'm thinking it had to be that I don't have them on correctly.

I've tried followiing the wires but it is very difficult as they seem to disappear under the floor. Like a car, would the negative actually go the frame?

Is there a way to figure this out using a multimeter?

Thanks in advance for any help!
42 REPLIES 42

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking we were all trolled by the OP.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oh ****, I typed an earlier post in invisible ink...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This tutorial may be of some help. 12v side of life.

To fully understand a MM, you need to know what DC is and what AC is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
fitznj wrote:
Get a multimeter from WalMart (real cheap) and use to to test each wire - this will a sure way of knowing which wire is Pos and Neg.

Xlnt suggestion......Now teach us people like me how to use it,I mean it. I have no idea where to start setting the dial, maybe you could start a thread, slowly teaching us old guys who want to learn about how to use a multi meter.

Raise your hand if you would like to learn about too?
A Google search turned up 4 million hits but here's the basics about Multimeter usage
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Red wire to positive.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the converter, as the issue is identifying pos & neg batt cables.
Heres a new idea,.......that I think will work

Set battery on the ground, connect jumper cables to battery,....connect negative jumper to trailer frame/ground.
Touch positive jumper to each battery cable in question, BUT ONLY W/ A 20-30 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER IN SERIES WITH THE POS JUMPER !!
Any battery cable that trips the CB, is a negative cable
Any cable that doesn't trip the CB, is a positive cable

The cost of this method is the price of a CB at the auto parts
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
Get a multimeter from WalMart (real cheap) and use to to test each wire - this will a sure way of knowing which wire is Pos and Neg.

Xlnt suggestion......Now teach us people like me how to use it,I mean it. I have no idea where to start setting the dial, maybe you could start a thread, slowly teaching us old guys who want to learn about how to use a multi meter.

Raise your hand if you would like to learn about too?
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Trip to dealer, guess which goes where, or buy a meter and know forever where there is voltage and where there is frame ground.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
With dim lights when plugged in... I am also testing if the converter even works.
By now it could also be the main fuses.

Got to start somewhere or haul it down to the dealer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sm..Oh I see..you're testing the converter polarity.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
fitznj wrote:
How?

The ground(-) wire will be a short to the chassis. The positive will not.

Assuming the meter is set up to beep when there's a short.

1) Unplug all electricity. No 110, no battery.

2) connect one end of the meter to a clean metal on the frame - a clean bolt or sheet metal screw that goes into the frame.

3) Connect the the other end to each wire, one at a time.

The ground wire(s) should beep. The (+) wire should not.

As a double check, you can find the +12v pin on the tow plug and verify that the the (+) wire is connected to that by putting one lead on the (+) wire and one on the +12v pin.

smkettner wrote:
Set meter to 20 volt DC scale. Plug in the RV and measure voltage between red and white(1) and white(2).

Post the results.

This should work too. Just be sure that the lugs on those three wires don't touch anything during your test....

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
fitznj wrote:
How?
Set meter to 20 volt DC scale. Plug in the RV and measure voltage between red and white(1) and white(2).

Post the results.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thicker - thickest? Now, pray tell, how did a camper manufacturer swindle Professor Kirchoff out of his Just Desserts?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Red is usually positive and black is usually negative in a DC system. White is not a DC color. You will have to do as has been suggested and trace the whites back to see where they go. Since there are white wires I would also trace the red back as there is no guarantee that the red is positive either.

Where does this wrong info come from ?
Red is usually positive
Black could be negative, but only when used in the same circuit as the red. Otherwise black is almost never negative. And black is always positive when used in the same circuit as white.
And white certainly is a DC color. Almost every dc light fixture, and every cigar liter socket uses black and white wires, in which black is always positive, and white is always neg ground. WHEW !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The point on this mans problem is simple. He only has 3 wires to choose from. 1 wire is RED and the other 2 are WHITE. So, it is obvious that the RED is Positive and the WHITES are Ground. Take it from someone who has worked on these system for 37 years. Doug
PS, I have NEVER seen a Battery cable, AT THE BATTERY, that is White that is NOT a Neg(ground) wire.