cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

White sealant used by factories

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the spec of the very durable white seam and fixture sealant caulk used by Carriage on their exterior walls?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty good with caulking but my results with ProFlex were terrible. I applied as small a bead as possible and used my finger (dipped in mineral spirits) to smooth out. It sets up so fast you barely have time to make a single pass.

This application was around my windows and the trim on the outside of the trailer. After about one year I've noticed the ProFlex is already starting to crack.

Also it is a large pain to try to get the old ProFlex off when recaulking. There is no doubt it is the best caulk to use. Wonder what would happen if one just used a good grade of exterior latex caulk??? It has a little flexibility to it, and is easy to apply and remove. Doubt it would last as long but much eaiser to work with.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I buy my caulking from the dealer....he sells the caulk used at the factory made(or marketed) by Alpha. One is self-leveling the other is for vertical surfaces. Both are great. Try calling your dealer for the answer

sheff69
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Let me rephrase my question: the exterior compartment door frames on our Carriage trailer have a white sealant frame to wall. It is applied in a narrow 45 degree angled bead. What product is it?

On my 2011 Cameo, on all of the exterior seams, they used silicone.
I've been going round the trailer cutting it all out, since 50% of it didn't bond. Each vertical seam has taken me about 2 hours to dig it out, and clean out the silicone with special cleaner from Home Depot, before I re-caulk with Geocell Proflex.

If I had a chance, I'd go shoot someone.

Sheff
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD 6 speed auto, 4.10 rear axle, 800 ft. lbs TQ.
30,000# GCVWR.
2011 Carriage Cameo 37RESLS, Kodiak Disks, 17.5" wheels, GY G114 tires, 17,500#.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ProFlex is great for vertical/sidewalls etc. BUT DO NOT USE ON RUBBER (Roof)

I note that Geocel has a RV EPDM roof sealer.
I was trying to figure out if geocel was a urethane type of sealer but just found that it was a "polymer" with no further information so I assume it isn't.???
bumpy

Geocel does make a EPDM non-solvent roof sealant (white) but they do not publish ingredients as it is proprietary blend. Secret
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I note that Geocel has a RV EPDM roof sealer.
I was trying to figure out if geocel was a urethane type of sealer but just found that it was a "polymer" with no further information so I assume it isn't.???
bumpy

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Let me rephrase my question: the exterior compartment door frames on our Carriage trailer have a white sealant frame to wall. It is applied in a narrow 45 degree angled bead. What product is it?

I can't say for sure, but I used GeoCel ProFlex white with good factory like (original) results. It is a bit fast setting, so best to apply with a narrow cut tip then tool (if necessary) by using a touch of mineral spirits on your fingertip...

Best Regards,

3 tons

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edit: double post from mobile phone. :E

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from DIY to Tech issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Dicor has self-leveling for roof seams, tank vents, fan vents etc. (NOT around A/C Unit---that uses a gasket)

Dicor has non sag sealant for vertical/sidewalls

NEVER use Silicone on an RV......it doesn't always stick. It leaves a residue that will not allow any other type of caulking to stick....even more silicone and has to be completely removed using a 'silicone remover---solvent' which can cause more damage than good. DON'T USE SILICONE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about the stuff under items attached to the exterior it is usually butyl tape. It is very durable and can be purchased at any RV supply/parts place in varying widths. On rubber roofs Dicor self leveling sealant is king.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on caulking the seams of my fiberglass roofed/sided TT using Loctite polyseam sealer, all purpose caulk, clear. the owner's manual sez to use a urethane caulk. If I had a rubber roof I would probably slop on some dicor.
bumpy

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
JRS & B wrote:
I thought Dicor was "self leveling" and mainly used for flat surfaces because of this trait. .

There are a number of different Docor sealants. One is self-leveling for horizontal surfaces, other for walls and vertical seams, ect.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Dicor was "self leveling" and mainly used for flat surfaces because of this trait. Proflex was used when the rubber around all of my slide outs rotted in the Florida sun and had to be replaced. Profelx formed a nice small bead, set up quickly and adhered nicely.