cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterizing Questions

rvhippo
Explorer
Explorer
I need to winterize my water system. There are two lines I can't figure out how to get anti-freeze into. I'm at a campground and don't have compressed air.

The first line is from the fresh water tank to the water pump. Will this line just evacuate sufficiently if I run the pump to empty?

The second line is from the city connection to the hot water tank. Should I pump antifreeze into this with a hand pump?

Will be storing in Michigan, so it will definitely hard freeze over the winter.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
10 REPLIES 10

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget the outside shower and black tank flush lines if equipped.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Good questions! I worried about each one of them my first time.

I use the pink antifreeze with a Tee on the inlet to the pump. I turn the T valve to suck antifreeze out of the jug (used to have to prime that short length of tubing with a syrup bottle filled with antifreeze but a new pump membrane draws it right out of the jug).

After pumping pink through all the taps, and toilet, I very carefully open the city water inlet cap a wee bit until pink stuff begins to come out. Opening it wide with the pump on blows the check valve.

I shut off the pump, then open a pipe joint to let air into the tube going down to the tank underneath, which makes the water fall down into the tank under the floor.

The freshwater drain is another concern for me, as it is the point most vulnerable to freezing on my RV. I have a plastic tube on the tap which makes a very reliable indicator of water level. With the tank empty as I can get it by draining, I fill that tube with antifreeze and open the tap so it flows into the tap and low point inside the tank. I try to put about a cup full in. There may be a little ice in the tank but the tap has never cracked.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I actually thought a winterizing kit was pretty much standard now. Every RV I've owned 2007, 2010 and 2013 model years has had a factory installed winterizing valve.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
if you don't put any in the fresh tank, how do you get AF into the pump and strainer?

You install a winterizing kit.

+1 on the winterizing kit. Winnebago installed one on my rig at the factory, but it would be simple to retrofit if your manufacturer did not. Well worth the expense and effort.

Cut the water line between the fresh water tank and the water pump. Install a water heater bypass valve, with a 3 foot(ish) long water line attached. Put the new water line down into the antifreeze bottle, and the water pump will draw from the bottle rather than from the water tank.

Any water left in the water line between the fresh water tank and the water pump will be inconsequential.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
if you don't put any in the fresh tank, how do you get AF into the pump and strainer?

You install a winterizing kit.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
don't put antifreeze in the fresh tank, not necessary (assuming you have a winterizing kit)

- the line from fresh tank to pump will drain back into the fresh tank
- to get antifreeze into the city water inlet you need to release the one way valve, there's a little button there behind the screen. Make sure you do it without pressure. ie crack a tap, then hold button while someone turns pump on... it will shoot a/f out so watch for that.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you can always go to a harbor freight store and buy a hand pump to back pump anti freeze into the water system through the kitchen sink

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't blow out, gravity drain as best you can, then a gallon or two of the pink/red non-toxic antifreeze (ethanol or PROPYLENE not ethylene glycol based) in the fresh tank, and run the pump until it comes out the various taps (hot and cold). Run enough to fill the traps in the sink/tub, and don't forget the toilet. Next, remove the drain on your hot water heater and you're done.

Antifreeze does freeze (or at least turn to slush) but it doesn't expand like water, so it won't bust your fittings.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
When I drain my system, the city water to the water heater will gravity out. After gravity draining my fresh water tank (on an angle), I will turn on the pump until no more water spits out a tap.