cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wipers have a mind of their own

RVLimey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I drive a 2003 Pace Arrow on W-22 chassis. In the past four years I have replaced wiper motor twice. I have replaced wiper module three times. Problem is when I need the wipers to work, they usually last about an hour before they either stop working and leaving the wipers at the outside edge of the windshield. or stutter like moving slowly then speed up. Then when I change the speed of the wipers they usually only work on high speed. At times I have to pull over on the highway, shut the engine off and then when I restart they are ok for a while before the problems return.
If anyone has any advise I am at "wits end". Yesterday traveling I-5 in heavy rain with this problem was really scary. I stopped in at a garage and they cleaned the brushes on the motor and checked all the connections and ground. Tomorrow we are driving over the Siskiou's and we may have some rain....I can't wait....
Thanks for any advise..
6 REPLIES 6

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the "any of the above" response, but I know from experience on a GM car, that GROUND is very critical. The idea of a "Low-Off-High" switch would probably work, but the driver would have to "park" the wipers by turning that switch to "Off" right when they were where s/he wanted them to stay. I think the OEM wiper switch is trickier than you'd think, allowing the wipers to stay powered till parked.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Could be any of the above problems. Another possibility is the switch itself. It controls the speed, the intermittent interval etc.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure all the electrical connectors for the wiper circuits behind the front hood are not getting wet. This is a known problem with Fleetwood coaches on Workhorse chassis of that vintage. The usual symptom of this problem is that the wipers won't stop, but there may be others. I solved the not stopping problem I had on one connector with a hair dryer, some vaseline, and wrapping it in saran wrap.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Bill Clinton once said "I feel your pain". My wiper motor died a year back and looked and looked and could not find a replacement. Not at Thor, not at Workhorse, not even on eBay. Ended up sending it to be rebuilt. When it came back and plugged it in, it worked great. So great it would not stop running. Instead of continuing the saga, I put a switch on the dash. When I need wipers, I flip the switch.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a sorta similiar problem with my Chevy van. Similar in that it was erratic in it's operation. I think, in your case, I would try connecting a new ground wire from the body of the wiper motor( pick any screw or bolt) to a good solid ground somewhere on the body. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost much time or material.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe try bypassing the switch. See if they work correctly.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900