cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 pin plug amperage rating?

BCwestcoast
Explorer
Explorer

How many amps can a guy shove through a 7 pin connector before things start to melt?

This question isn't to be confused with how many amps can the stock truck circuit supply.

I am adding a 7 pin plug to the front of the truck bed. Connected to pin 1 will be an 8ga ground wire.

Connected to pin 4 will be an 8ga +12V wire connected to the battery under the hood through a continuous duty solenoid. The solenoid will be controlled by one of the auxiliary switches set as ignition on.

Intended purpose is to charge the slide in camper battery with the solenoid providing the isolation that isn't present with the factory 7 pin 12V charging circuit.

A secondary thought is powering a small winch which is the reasoning behind the 8ga wire and my question on how many amps a plug will handle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II

Most UL Approved electrical connectors will have there rating embossed on them or on a sticker applied to them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

If you're still around, there are better choices for a connection.

You want something "different" from a standard RV 7-pin plug, lest someone be tempted to plug a normal trailer plug into it. Off the top of my head I have no idea if you're using the standard pins for your 12V and ground connections, but if you aren't and someone confuses the two plugs.... Some smoke is going to get let out.

Not to mention 8ga will be a squeeze in the standard 7 pin connections.

I recommend Anderson SB connectors. The SB50 model is perfect for your application, though the SB120 and SB175 will work fine too. powerwerx DOT com has been my source of Anderson connectors for years if you're looking for a place to buy from.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the 8ga fit into the Grote connector just fine. I terminated the wires onto a ring terminal, then attached the ring terminal to the screw terminals on the Grote 7 pin connector. (All connections)

I find the chances of the magic smoke being let out fairly remote as the 7 pin at the front of the truck box for the slide in camper is wired to industry standard other than the beefy power connection and well as pin 2 for the trailer brakes. The 8ga will minimize voltage drop to the 7 pin at higher amperage.

I will utilize pin 2 for a set of auxiliary lights on the back of the camper that are controlled by a switch in the cab.  A lot of extremely heavy modifications will need to be performed to the truck before that plug ever sees a trailer brake.

The plug on the rear of the truck however, has not been modified and is as it came from the factory.

I am familiar with the Anderson SB50. I'm using that as power connections for the house batteries in the camper as well as my electric trolling motor and battery (I connect my trolling motor battery to my camper using the SB50 to charge the battery with the camper solar panel)

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II

Most UL Approved electrical connectors will have there rating embossed on them or on a sticker applied to them.