cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Duramax DEF issues

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following a thread recently on duramaxforum.com which is following people that have had DEF problems with their 2011 and newer chevy duramax trucks. I happen to be one of them. My truck is in the shop for the second time, first time they replaced the NOX sensor. 300 miles later it is back in for DEF issues and I won't know something til next week. I was wondering how wide spread it was because it is a 36 page thread and growing on duramaxforum. I would like to hear from anyone on here that has the DEF version Duramax and whether or not you have had any problems.

I was thinking maybe we could post here what your year your DEF duramax is and whether you have had problems or not, and the mileage of such problems or hopefully the mileage of trucks with no problems.

I am trying to figure out if I should keep this truck or not.

Thanks

I absolutely love this truck except when it breaks down!

2011 duramax 24k CEL NOX sensor replaced

300 miles later back in shop for DEF issue
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
71 REPLIES 71

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
ricatic wrote:
Step son is now driving a 2015 Dually DuraMax Ex Cab...I will get a chance to see how it drives and how nice the cab is soon...

Pic, or it doesn't exist. 2015 GM HD trucks have not been released yet.

...oh, it exists...it was sitting in our driveway Monday night...2015 GMC 3500 DuraMax/Allison 4x4 Dually Extended Cab Black and loaded...he was driving a 2015 GMC 3500 Std Cab but this one became available so he switched trucks...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
hell for $2500 just delete it.

YOu can delete for about half that actually. $750 for MotorOps Autocal (EFI LIve) tuner and another $4-500 for exhaust. Only downside is powertrain warranty is now gone but one could argue the truck should be more reliable with the emissions garbage removed. Deleting also is not an option for a lot of people depending on level of emissions testing required where they live. Communist California comes to mind:)
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
ricatic wrote:
Step son is now driving a 2015 Dually DuraMax Ex Cab...I will get a chance to see how it drives and how nice the cab is soon...

Pic, or it doesn't exist. 2015 GM HD trucks have not been released yet.

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
My truck and 7k will get me a 2014 ford 6.2 gasser. I don't want a gasser but I am getting a little terrified at this point

That's my plan.
I am sure that I'll want to hang myself when towing. But, right now I own a $45k truck that I'm scared to get more than 100 miles from home in.
I've owned nothing but GM vehicles in the past (16 in the last 20 years), But this truck has left an awful taste in my mouth. Already replaced my daughters car with a Honda and the wifes Pontiac with a Toyota. Next will be a truck with a blue oval in the garage.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
hell for $2500 just delete it.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
50k emissions warranty on my truck.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
lly-zf6 wrote:
Don't hold your breath that a new tank will fix it.

My '11 has had 3 nox censors, a def injector and a new tank/pump in the last 25k miles. 13 trips to the dealer so far, and spent a couple days standed in Ky. with it. Truck has 44k on it now.
As far as I can see, most of them are pretty reliable. But the problem trucks are BAD!
Based on my many conversations with customer service, I think they are just waiting for the 50k emmisions warranty to expire.
Mine will be leaving in the spring. Don't see how I can afford the service bills on this POS once the waranty expires. Since GM doesn't seem to care about actually addressing these issues, I assume they won't miss me as a customer.

My truck and 7k will get me a 2014 ford 6.2 gasser. I don't want a gasser but I am getting a little terrified at this point!
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Hey just thought I would add that my truck made it 40 miles this time before CEL came back on. Thats the third time in 2 weeks. This time it would not let me come out of 2nd gear. 24k on the truck. Both NOX sensors have all ready been replaced. Anybody care to guess what the diagnosis will be. I hope they replace my DEF tank with the updated one.

I can understand your frustration...My 2011 Ford 6.7 was a similar problem child...never went more than 5000 miles without some kind of problem. In the last year of ownership, it never made a week without a CEL...dealerships always wanted to blame the owner for problems and milk the owner for diagnostics charges. I fixed the problem myself...I unloaded the POS Ford for a DuraMax...have not seen a CEL in almost a year and 17000 miles...

IIRC, Emissions warranty is for a lot longer than 50000 miles...It was 100000 but may be 70000 now. If i was trading for a new truck now, I would look long and hard at the Ram's...but the new 2015 GM's sure are nice. Step son is now driving a 2015 Dually DuraMax Ex Cab...I will get a chance to see how it drives and how nice the cab is soon...

Regards

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
Don't hold your breath that a new tank will fix it.

My '11 has had 3 nox censors, a def injector and a new tank/pump in the last 25k miles. 13 trips to the dealer so far, and spent a couple days standed in Ky. with it. Truck has 44k on it now.
As far as I can see, most of them are pretty reliable. But the problem trucks are BAD!
Based on my many conversations with customer service, I think they are just waiting for the 50k emmisions warranty to expire.
Mine will be leaving in the spring. Don't see how I can afford the service bills on this POS once the waranty expires. Since GM doesn't seem to care about actually addressing these issues, I assume they won't miss me as a customer.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Hey just thought I would add that my truck made it 40 miles this time before CEL came back on. Thats the third time in 2 weeks. This time it would not let me come out of 2nd gear. 24k on the truck. Both NOX sensors have all ready been replaced. Anybody care to guess what the diagnosis will be. I hope they replace my DEF tank with the updated one.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I found this at http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/bluedef/faq/

General Motors: 2010-2011 Chevy Silverado 6.6L Turbo Diesel and GMC Sierra 6.6L Turbo Diesel
TSB/Campaign Number 11183B - Some Silverado and Sierra HD vehicles may experience SCR issues, especially at colder temperatures, where a MIL will be displayed. Corrective action is to install a shield and insulator to the DEF tank.
TSB/Campaign Number 11326 - Some Silverado and Sierra HD vehicles may experience SCR issues involving DEF tanks that were built with low internal resistance, causing DTC codes P21AB, P203D or P21BO. Corrective action would be to perform campaign 11183B and if problem is not corrected, replacement of entire DEF tank would be necessary.
TSB/Campaign Number 11001 - Some Silverado and Sierra HD vehicles may experience SCR issues where the DEF system may not operate as intended. MIL will indicate, DEF system warning will display and vehicle speed may be limited. No codes in particular are identified, but GM calls for ECM reprogramming per campaign with new software in the event of an SCR system issue.

They go on to list a bunch more for other vehicle makers. So lucky me I live someplace where it gets cold. I wonder when I will have to replace my def tank in or out of warranty?
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
GM may have other means of differentiating between revisions of parts than the ordering part number we can all see.

I work in the computer storage industry and can tell you there are a lot more numbers associated with components than just the part number itself.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Was in the logistics business my entire career. I concur with Fly-boy. That is the way it should be done. Otherwise there is no way to differentiate between the two parts.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak specifically for GM but we change part numbers anytime we make a change to a part (new supplier/new design etc...) This is the only way for a us to track history, replacement, failure rates...
If GM re-engineered I would think they would change the part number or dual number it...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Not to mention the hideous tank hanging below the frame right behind the front passenger tire! :R

Most just throw on a set of side steps, and the tank is virtually covered and less of an eyesore.

There aren't really any options for locating the DEF tank within the frame rails when GM decided to up the fuel tank to 36gal on the short beds in 2011. I'll gladly take the additional fuel capacity over having the DEF tank hidden.

No doubt having the extra fuel capacity is a big plus.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"