cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light Japanese Trucks used as Tow Vehicles here

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Much to my surprise Japanese Light Trucks are gaining momentum for pulling 26ft+ Travel Trailers

56 REPLIES 56

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
When I think of Light Japanese Trucks my mind goes to the old Datsun and Isuzu built Chevy LUV Trucks. ๐Ÿ™‚

These are light Trucks here a Japanese Medium can go to 58,000lb GVWR

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I rented a UHaul truck for a 100 mile move. Great, an Isuzu diesel, should get great mileage. By the end of the trip my back and right leg were killing me. Had to keep the darn thing floored to make 60 mph!

blt2ski
fj12ryder wrote:
I wouldn't call and truck that has a payload capacity of over 8 tons "light".

Unfortunately, light in Oz includes all rigs to about 25-30k gvw. Where as here, you are up into the class 7 max 33k gvw both light duty to 14k g w, then medium duty from 14001-33,000 gvw.

So I would suggest EVERYONE take OPs light vs med vs heavy vs super train truck classifications with a grain of salt.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't call a truck that has a payload capacity of over 8 tons "light".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
You can't throw a rock around here without hitting one. They are very popular with landscaping companies and you see lots of box trucks too. I can't imagine them ever catching on as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer when a full size HD pickup is better at that specific job in every way except turning radius. There are many other jobs that these trucks excel at but as a personal use tow vehicle, not so much.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Chevy LUV (Isuzu)? Yep, had one of those. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I can see this d!ck swinging contest getting interesting.....
This is where career cab lizards talk about how those little puny class 5&6 trucks are meant for your 7 year old niece to drive around the yard like her Barbie Power Wheels Jeep!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:
Yeah, when Isuzu calls it "light", they are talking light in their commercial lineup.
Here's the US GM version of the same vehicle and we would never call them "Light US Trucks".
Chevrolet LCF Cab-Over

Never called light truck? Most of my of the people I know would call GVWR of 26000 pretty light.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, when Isuzu calls it "light", they are talking light in their commercial lineup.
Here's the US GM version of the same vehicle and we would never call them "Light US Trucks".
Chevrolet LCF Cab-Over
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
When I think of Light Japanese Trucks my mind goes to the old Datsun and Isuzu built Chevy LUV Trucks. ๐Ÿ™‚
My thoughts too. That doesn't look like any "Light Japanese Truck" I've ever considered. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like they could carry almost anything they want
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer