cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some thoughts on a weight question, friend needs to move her 5er to new site about 10 kms, gvw 15500#, my truck f250 rated at 13000, hitch is 24000#, i would not do this normally nor for any distance. My question is can my springs take this for this short distance, and what other possible consequences could i cause.
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4
2011 cruiser 32bl 5th wheel
20 REPLIES 20

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
So the trailer will likely be somewhere between the 12,000lb dry weight, and whatever... Depending on how long they've been using it at its current site, it could have accumulated a LOT of cr@p, and actually weigh MORE than its GVWR.

It's really easy to keep trucking in more and more and more when you've got a seasonal site. You don't have to put it all back in the trailer to go home on Sunday morning.

Even so, I would just do it given the truck you have and the distance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, have to check out the pin box, and then moving it next week. On the side, my truck has theheavy trailer package and snow plow set up so yes for the short distance it will nt be a problem, also the trailer is 12000 dry weight. Thanks to all for talking me through my thoughts
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 40 5 th wheel about 5 miles with my 2002 Chevrolet duramax with no problems!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have had that thing moved in less time than has been spent on this thread.

blt2ski
Bumpyroad wrote:
aren't we talking about a 6 mile tow here?
bumpy

Yes.........
Not sure what keeps this truck at 13K lbs max trailer vs something heavier. Small V8 vs larger V8 vs diesel? If so, the truck is more than capable of towing the 5w in question, assuming the truck is set up correctly. May go a bit slower, start slower.....it will and can get there safe and sanely.
Of course the human part comes into play too! which is the wild card part!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
aren't we talking about a 6 mile tow here?
bumpy

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
lovetotow wrote:
Looking for some thoughts on a weight question, friend needs to move her 5er to new site about 10 kms, gvw 15500#, my truck f250 rated at 13000, hitch is 24000#, i would not do this normally nor for any distance. My question is can my springs take this for this short distance, and what other possible consequences could i cause.
The springs on your F250 4wd won't have any issues moving a heavy weight just once.
Your F250 should have a 6100 rawr. The trucks rear axle may weigh in the 2900-3000 lb range leaving approx 3100-3200 lbs for a in the bed payload. The RAWR includes the lessor numbers of tires/wheels/ rear spring pack/axle assy.
If your truck has the camper package option or heavy service package it will have the same front and rear spring packs as the F350 SRW.
The axle assy is the same as the F350SRW.
OEM wheel capacity is the weak link on later model trucks today.

Like all work trucks make sure your tires/wheels capacity are up to safely carrying the load you place on them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stop thinking. This is not a question really. Only on rvnet would people make what youโ€™re asking about into a debate or science experiment.
Just move the RV for your friend, itโ€™s fine. Seriously
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Let's look at this another way. Assuming like most 8 lug SW trucks out there. You have typically 11900-2400 lbs empty on ra. If hitch is really 3000 lbs, you have a total of max 5400 LS on an axle rated at minimum 6000 to 7500 or so depending upon if you have an older 25 series truck like me, or on out I last 5 years or so.
Springs and actual carry capacity of truck is not the issue.
I would do this with my 2000 GM 2500. For 2 miles, level, speeds of what less than 25-35 mph....if everything that needs to work works. No brainier. I've got a truck with a 13500 gcwr! I've moved a few 12k trailers with it. Only issues are steeper grades where I don't have enough low gear in auto trans. That is 10%or greater grade.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™d hitch it up and see if your springs are bottomed out. If not, Iโ€™d ease on down the road for that short distance. I wouldnโ€™t do it a long way, or at high speeds, but this sounds like an easy tow.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I took the OPs GVW as actual gross wt of 15.5K. If that GVW means gross vehicle wt RATING, than actual loaded wt may be less???

Jerry

agree it might be confusing but if it is actual weight, the OP should have said the trailer weighs 14,289 lbs or whatever. and not put gvw (r) in the discussion.
bumpy

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your thoughts, my personal research has also revealed it may not be a real weight issue as well, no hills, two turns, about 3kms of two lane highway, still thinking
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI would not overload my truck, to help a friend, but would try to help a friend find a truck suitable for the load.โ€ x2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I took the OPs GVW as actual gross wt of 15.5K. If that GVW means gross vehicle wt RATING, than actual loaded wt may be less???

To answer the OPs question...I would not overload my truck, to help a friend, but would try to help a friend find a truck suitable for the load.

Jerry