cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'13 Ram 2500 - how much lift and pull 5th wheel?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to level or slightly lift my 2013 Ram 2500, and I plan to trade my current TT for a 5th wheel fairly soon. I'm not looking for a big lift at all, but between that and (slightly) larger tires, it might raise the top edge of the bed a couple of inches.
Since I don't have the 5th yet, and I'm not sure which one I'll end up with, I don't know how much clearance I will actually have.
So, realistically and generally, how high can the top edge of the bed be and still be able to pull a 5th wheel without doing anything to the camper?
LOL - I just realized that I guess I should see how high the top of my bed is now.
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
27 REPLIES 27

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
tufftruck front springs will level it out.and flip the fivers axles.you'll fit 35's easily.i had 3.5 inches of rake before i installed mine,now nice and level with airbags in the rear to even out when the campers on.and 35's.:)it looks lifted but it's not.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a 6" lift your RV has to have some modifications. If not the rear tires will be carrying a lot more and possibly overloaded. Looks like the trailer in pic is quite nose high. I do see the landing gear is down but the bed clearance looks correct.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't find one with the fifth wheel but here are a couple pics with some steel I hauled back from Oklahoma for the roping arena- as you can see the trailer rides flat. The trailer had 25k pounds of steel on it but then lifted trucks can't do any real work...

Click For Full-Size Image.

2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
drittal wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
Not a Dodge but my Chevy DRW has a 6" lift, rides on 20" wheels and 35" tires. Tows our 45 foot fifth wheel no problem.

Do you have a picture of your setup hooked up and mods done to trailer and/or hitch to accomplish a level tow?

I would love to see that also! A nice side view on level ground.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rctoyguy wrote:
I've looked for takeoff 20's, if I replace the wheels it will most likely be for oem 20's. If I just replace tires, then I'm not sure - that's what led to my original question, but the more I think about it the more I think that any "lifting" I do would probably just be a front level.

Leveling the front will result in a nose high towing experience!

Maybe you need two trucks, one to do real work and one to look pretty?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked for takeoff 20's, if I replace the wheels it will most likely be for oem 20's. If I just replace tires, then I'm not sure - that's what led to my original question, but the more I think about it the more I think that any "lifting" I do would probably just be a front level.
B&W Patriot 16K

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Find a set of 18" take offs. The 2015 Laramie wheels on our truck are about the best looking of the lot. 18" tires are cheaper to purchase vs 20".
Not the last time I bought tires. The fawkers charged me more for my 18's then they were charging for 17's and 20's. I asked them wtf and they said because 20's are more common now lol.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
drittal wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
Not a Dodge but my Chevy DRW has a 6" lift, rides on 20" wheels and 35" tires. Tows our 45 foot fifth wheel no problem.

Do you have a picture of your setup hooked up and mods done to trailer and/or hitch to accomplish a level tow?

The only thing I ever did was adjust the trailer pin- two trucks before the current one. The trailer rides maybe a little higher than most because of the length. They did this from the factory... I assume to help you keep from rubbing when entering/departing driveways...

Trailer rides flat- I have maybe 20k miles of towing this trailer with the current and or earlier trucks that have all had lifts. 2008, 2011, 2016 all GM trucks riding on 35" tires. I will look for a picture hooked up.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:

Please don't muddy the conversation with real world facts. 🙂

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a set of 18" take offs. The 2015 Laramie wheels on our truck are about the best looking of the lot. 18" tires are cheaper to purchase vs 20".
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It will probably be a new(ish) camper, but I don't plan on buying for a few months and I'm going to need tires before then. I guess I can find 2 or 3 campers that I like, get the measurements, and go from that.

I'm also slightly worried about increasing sidewall height - even if it's only 2 inches - as long as I stay with a load range e tire (isn't E preferred?) shouldn't the sidewall height not matter? I don't want to introduce squishiness to the mix. Changing to 20's could be an option, but that'll make it that much more expensive.
B&W Patriot 16K

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying a new 5th wheel I believe you will have options. Be careful if your are looking used. Mine is 8 years old and no way it could be towed level behind a newer truck let alone slightly lifted. Trailer lifting options are not there for my particular unit. I suggest picking out the trailer you want, get out a tape measure, then decide on tire/lifting options. I didn't do it but I got lucky because I had an older truck.