2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
21 REPLIES 21

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
guidry wrote:
Actual invoice is what I start negotiations at.
Very seriously doubt that was the actual invoice the dealer paid. Could you post this invoice price, and the MSRP?

I was in the car business for 8 years in a previous life. Contrary to popular opinion, there is no such thing as a "second" dealer invoice. I can only speak for Ford & Mazda, but I'm sure that it is probably true for the others as well.

The invoice price is the price that they paid for it. However, there might be some "back end" money or additional incentives to the dealer from the manufacturer that are run during certain sales promotions of towards the end of a model year when the new stuff is getting ready to come out.

Another misconception is that dealers won't sell a car for a loss. This is absolutely untrue. All new cars/trucks that are listed on the big Sat/Sunday newspaper section are listed either for a flat break even or actually loosing money.

I know for a fact that I sold SEVERAL cars that were true legitimate loosers, but they just had to go. Might have been sitting there a while and was starting to cost the dealerships more money in floorplan than they were worth keeping on the lot.

Also, the dealers don't get the luxury of paying 0% APR for floorplanning their inventory either and holdback can quickly get eaten up collectively by having a handful of vehicles that nobody is interested in, but they still have to pay for.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I got a decent discount on my new truck, but more importantly, I got exactly what I wanted. Some of the super discounts are on odd ball vehicles that the dealer wants to get rid of. People have gotten better prices than me, but in the long run paid way more. They financed, I didn't. They traded in, I didn't. They bought useless options, I didn't. They paid for PDI, wax, scotch guard, Etc. I didn't.

You can wheel and deal for months and one day later someone will get a better deal than you.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Thunderbolt wrote:
This is simply not true. For one if the dealer sells enough vehicles close to the MSRP they can afford to sell a couple at a small loss. The biggest reason is do to manufacturers dealer incentives. Manufacturers give incentives to dealers for selling a certain number of trucks in a given month. If the dealer needs to sell a couple more trucks that month to get the incentive they will sell them at a small loss. The incentive more than makes up for it. That is one of the reasons it pays to shop around and also why some of the best deals can be had the last couple days of the month. It doesn't always happen, but it most certainly does happen.

Chuck_thehammer wrote:
No one sales a New truck at a LOSS.

they can always sell it to another dealer for invoice.

Then they are not selling at a loss. Only the dealer knows what their cost will be on that vehicle.

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I was well under invoice on my last vehicle purchase. It was a built to order, so I placed a few "want ads" online through local dealerships. First one that responded with a close to invoice I emailed back with a real low ball offer. They responded with a decent price. Back and forth again and a great price.

Never mentioned a trade and was never asked.

2 months later and my Jeep arrives. While signing the paper work, I ask if they want to "buy my old Jeep". After a good 30-45 minutes of them looking it over they come back and give me a price. Same price that CarMax had given me the weekend before and the 14 day guarantee price nicely printed out on a piece of paper.

Do you know how easy it is to scan something, manipulate a few numbers and reprint it?

"That number is a little low", pull out folded piece of paper. "This is what I was offered last week." My sale to the dealer went up, a bunch!
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
This is simply not true. For one if the dealer sells enough vehicles close to the MSRP they can afford to sell a couple at a small loss. The biggest reason is do to manufacturers dealer incentives. Manufacturers give incentives to dealers for selling a certain number of trucks in a given month. If the dealer needs to sell a couple more trucks that month to get the incentive they will sell them at a small loss. The incentive more than makes up for it. That is one of the reasons it pays to shop around and also why some of the best deals can be had the last couple days of the month. It doesn't always happen, but it most certainly does happen.

Chuck_thehammer wrote:
No one sales a New truck at a LOSS.

they can always sell it to another dealer for invoice.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how the dealer will start at MSRP, then subtract the rebates plus a little more to give you a "discount" price. That is the actual price your paying, so it's not a bad deal, BUT, the way it should work is; arrive at a price, THEN take off the rebate. Now that would be a good deal. Never happens that way though, most buyers put the rebates on the down payment.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The last Super Duty I bought (and maybe the final one) , i dealt in out the door prices, not all that book cooking stuff.

Did the wife's Toyota the same way. OTD is the bottom line, not all that touchy feely stuff. :R

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
People pay MSRP every day. It always surprised me. Not many in these days of the net, but more than you would think. Back in the day it was a lot.
Puma 30RKSS

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Shhhh...Stop pointing out how to get the "best" deals on new trucks!!....I appreciate all the folks who overpay for their new trucks, and then turn around and trade them in or sell them to get out from under the payments, or have so much cash laying around they buy/lease a new truck every year.

It leaves a great selection of low mileage used trucks for me to choose from, and the real best deal out there, which is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my last two Super Duties during a similar time. The 2011 was listed as $11,000 off MSRP so I worked with that and we went back and forth over the trade-in amount.

This last truck was listed as $12,000 off MSRP. I drove 3 hours to get it because it was the closest one that was like I wanted. I paid them exactly the $12,000 off MSRP.

I was happy and obviously, so were they. If they made a dollar or $10,000, who cares because this buyer was happy.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
this thread is a good example that even with true car, KBB, Edmunds, GM supplier, Ford X plan and ten other car buying sites out there most don't understand the true price of a new vehicle.

Bedlam
I bought mine at $500 under invoice minus applicable rebates. I could see you getting that number if you buy one of the optioned out units that has a rebate program running.

Some people will get a lousy trade in value to make it look like they are getting a deal on their vehicle - I sold my previous truck privately and did not play those number games.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you sell trucks?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
still worth looking into.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal