cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19.5 Hankook DH35 vs XDS2

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
My eyes have glazed over reading tire reviews. I currently have 225/70/19.5 XDS2's on my '05 Dodge 3500 SRW. Most of the driving I do is without the Lance on it, but since retiring, I have it on a lot more. It is time for new tires. I was happy with the Michelins, and am not too sure on the mileage I got out of them. But they are indeed expensive. If they turn out to be the best tire, especially for winter driving, they are what I will get. The tire shop up the road also gave me a quote on the DH35's. They are considerably less money. From what I have read on them, they seem to be pretty good for winter conditions. At least from their own advertisement. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or, hopefully, with both. Thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
How many years are people waiting to age-out 19.5 tires?

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Considered it, but decided to stick with recommended positioning. In retrospect, it doesn't seem like it would have made much difference based on the shape of the HS3's, but I couldn't say for sure without trying both. The HS3s also have the snowflake symbol, but clearly aren't as winter oriented as XDS2s. I may get XDS2s for the front if I feel I need them, but I will regret not having been able to put a couple thousand miles on them in the summer to get them a bit more compliant. But hey! I guess I could put the rear tires on the front at that point!
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Did you consider putting the XDS2's all the way around? That's what I did with mine. I have been wondering about specific drive and steer tires, and how they would perform in the winter. But the consensus was that you could put drives all the way around. The tire shop up the road quoted me on the DH35's. I will ask them about the AH35's. I am very curious as to how they perform in winter conditions. Thank you all for the replies.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
I was very interested in the DH35s with AH35s on the front, but couldn't get any. Ended up with the new conti steer tires (HS3 hybrid) and XDS2 on the rear axle. I have no previous experience with 19.5s, but no complaints so far. True test will be winter (main reason for XDS2).
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our commercial Michelin’s now for 7 years. We got drive treads for the rear, but got steer treads for the front since they are quieter. We have about 70,000 kms on them now & they still have tons of tread. They will probably “time-age” out before they actually “wear” out. Expensive for sure, but the peace of mind is worth it while hauling a heavy camper (AF811) with a F350 SRW truck.