cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
I sure am having a lot of fun with mine, not to have camped in it at all.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
I just realized, we have a 70, 71, 72 and a 76 Amerigo on this thread. pretty good showing for a camper that isnt built anymore

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
It sure is. I hope mine looks near that good when I'm finished.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Bob. I was going to do just that, but decided to buy an extra crank up jack and use four instead of three. For a while I won't need to take the camper on and off the truck except occasionally. After deciding that I forgot that I was going to reinforce the corners and run wiring for future electric jacks. If you notice anything else, be sure to say something, I really appreciate everyone's help. BTW- I have your camper picture on the beach on my computer. I pull it up for inspiration at least twice a week. -Carey

His is an inspiration isnt it.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reminder, Bob. I was going to do just that, but decided to buy an extra crank up jack and use four instead of three. For a while I won't need to take the camper on and off the truck except occasionally. After deciding that I forgot that I was going to reinforce the corners and run wiring for future electric jacks. If you notice anything else, be sure to say something, I really appreciate everyone's help. BTW- I have your camper picture on the beach on my computer. I pull it up for inspiration at least twice a week. -Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Carey looks like your making great progress. If you are going to go with the 4 camper jacks when all is done you might want to add a vertical stud on the drivers side where the new jacks will go. I had a problem with the siding starting to buckle,above the jacks.

good luck
Bob W.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I got it out in one piece, but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have getting it back in. I'll have to raise the Snap N Nap and slip it in sideways then try to stand it up. It'll be interesting anyway. I had almost the same experience you did with the Snap N Nap. I cut out the support on the side I was standing on and everything dropped. Luckily the other side held and I was abe to jack it up and get everything back in place. I posted more pictures on the blog. Hope you all had a good holiday.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
Finally got the shower stall out. I took out the street side wing and slid it out that way. Had to remove the black tank and cut the screws between the stall and floor through the flange opening. They didn't want that thing to move at all. I guess I'll have to slide it back in through the Snap n Nap after I get the floor framing done. I posted more pictures on the blog.

out in 1 piece? I had to cut the same stuff to get the bottom of mine out, your right, they didnt want it to move. Just looked at your new pictures, Man I feel for you, I have been to that point, cant believe that floor lol. It'll soon be putting stuff back in instead of taking out. Your doing good tho.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got the shower stall out. I took out the street side wing and slid it out that way. Had to remove the black tank and cut the screws between the stall and floor through the flange opening. They didn't want that thing to move at all. I guess I'll have to slide it back in through the Snap n Nap after I get the floor framing done. I posted more pictures on the blog.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow for some plywood, I'll check them out then. I had hoped to use something like that to replace the ceiling panels, either that or walpapered quarter inch ply. Lot to do before then. I plan to use Black Friday as put back Friday. Hope to get a lot done tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving guys.

My thoughts too, I maybe brave enough to totally rebuild a tc, but I aint got what counts to go shopping with 50000 crazed redneck women in Walmart. lol

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow for some plywood, I'll check them out then. I had hoped to use something like that to replace the ceiling panels, either that or walpapered quarter inch ply. Lot to do before then. I plan to use Black Friday as put back Friday. Hope to get a lot done tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving guys.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sweet Tater wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
The panels are FRP board, which depending on the store comes in smooth or orange peel texture.

I used the orange peel (only thing available here) to redo my bathroom a few years ago.

about $30 a panel around here, but suppose to be good stuff

That's pretty average price across the country, I paid that much for them several years ago when I did my bathroom remodel :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
The panels are FRP board, which depending on the store comes in smooth or orange peel texture.

I used the orange peel (only thing available here) to redo my bathroom a few years ago.

about $30 a panel around here, but suppose to be good stuff

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
The panels are only 1/8 " thick and are sold where the paneling is.
If you enclosed the bottom with a piece of plywood you can glue one of the sheets to the plywood. Before replacing my tanks I had to replace the plywood that was holding them up because it was rotted. I glued a sheet to the bottom before replacing the tanks. This can be seen in the photos of the tanks I posted.

thanks

Bob W.