cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:

You know anyone who's got parts for the jalousie windows crank mechanism? The handles spin, but the windows don't open.

It helps f you can determine the brand of window .
http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=305

It took a while to get to where I can actually address this, but they sadly don't carry them.

From my research, I have determined that Gardner Inc. used Barton-Kramer Window for the Jalousie Windows found in all of their rigs.

The company is mercifully still around, and the torque operators for these windows are still in their catalog.

The part these use is the 274R and 274L model crank mechanism.

#274L Side Mount Torque Operator

#274R Side Mount Torque Operator

The Right-hand units can be located on Home Depot, so at least there's an easily found supplier for those, however, the left-hands are more difficult to locate.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
For anyone with an Amerigo that has these style of tail light:

Grote RV Part supply makes new ones, the part number is 51242 and you can find it on Amazon.com :).

I ended up looking for new ones as both my tail light housings had cracks in them.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:

Entrance side of the rebuild is complete...including the 13 foot long 2-6 support beam. Here is a pick of the "newly" supported over the cab bed. Tomorrow we rip open the drivers side of the camper.

Working on the cabover myself right now, I don't know how they ever thought the factory design for supporting the front half of the bed was a good idea.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, Cwinhard, any progress on yours?

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
cwinhard wrote:
Officially a part of the Amerigo clan, too.
And most likely the one with the longest distance from the original manufacturing site: I'm in Germany.

Bought this baby a couple of weeks ago and gettin' ready for a full restoration over the next months.

The snap-n-nap was missing, so need to rebuild that from scratch. Thanks to Wagonqueen I've got plenty of helpful information over the last weeks.

Biggest challenge for the moment are the jacks: Stay with the original ones and add a fourth for stability plus some custom system for the front jacks so I can pass them with the Dually or go for Rieco Titans and build some custom brackets... Any suggestions?

Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Claus

Welcome to the clan :)!

On the jacks, personally its your own preference and how much you plan to use the camper off the truck. I take my campers off fairly regularly, so I'm going with standard jacks.

The last owner on mine made custom corner mounts so that standard jacks could be attached on the front, and I'm taking mine down to a welder buddy to make some custom mounts for the rears so I can transfer my electric jack system from the KIT onto the Amerigo.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

cwinhard
Explorer
Explorer
Officially a part of the Amerigo clan, too.
And most likely the one with the longest distance from the original manufacturing site: I'm in Germany.

Bought this baby a couple of weeks ago and gettin' ready for a full restoration over the next months.

The snap-n-nap was missing, so need to rebuild that from scratch. Thanks to Wagonqueen I've got plenty of helpful information over the last weeks.

Biggest challenge for the moment are the jacks: Stay with the original ones and add a fourth for stability plus some custom system for the front jacks so I can pass them with the Dually or go for Rieco Titans and build some custom brackets... Any suggestions?

Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Claus

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was put back in when my snap n nap was rebuilt with your typical butyl tape. The seal around the actual moving part off the window leaks due to shrinkage. I just used a clear silicon caulk to fill in some if the voids.

Yeah, that's the bit I was wondering about. Looks like I shall be buying a roll of auto weather stripping and seeing if I can use that to get the window to seal up when shut :).

ticki2 wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:

You know anyone who's got parts for the jalousie windows crank mechanism? The handles spin, but the windows don't open.

I'll have to see if I can find any info on the windows. The KIT was easy, it had Hehr brand, but I don't know right off the top of my head if the Amerigo used the same brand.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was put back in when my snap n nap was rebuilt with your typical butyl tape. The seal around the actual moving part off the window leaks due to shrinkage. I just used a clear silicon caulk to fill in some if the voids.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goog luck. I pray yours needs only minor restorations.

Also, what did you use to re-seal the snap-nap's window? The last owner just caulked it shut tight because the seal was shot, but I'd like to put it back into service.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Goog luck. I pray yours needs only minor restorations.

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome !

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I am officially part of the clan :). Restoration work will be beginning as soon as the next paycheck rolls around.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Let me look thru my 100's of pics I don't have attached to my blog or photobucket. We re attached the manual jacks right where they were...but added to each a 15 x15 steel plate for extra strength. We also ran an old bed frame the length of each wing.